• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crappy K member welds

CoronetDarter

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure glad I had the K mineral blasted. Thanks to all of you who posted to my earlier thread. What couldn't be seen before the stripping was the poor quality of the welds. Is this really how these pieces left the factory?

IMG_1785.jpgIMG_1784.jpg

The work around the steering box bracket was the worst. There's slag thrown everywhere. Some of the loose stuff pried off.
IMG_1786.jpgIMG_1787.jpg
Looks like a combination of MIG and stick weldingIMG_1788.jpg

In any case all the joints are going to be welded on both sides and inside the brackets where the factory didn't weld. It didn't get a reinforcing kit but the extra welding will help. And I have extra scrap metal to fab reinforcement plates.

Yep, that's the factory welds!!

Quality control wasn't a big priority in that department I guess.

When they say they don't build them like they use to, I usually say, Thank god!!

Yep, those look like my welds. Sure they look crappy but then again, they've held up this long...

Sonny used to think:...THIS CAR HAS BEEN HIT!....but no, just factory welds from the "high school kids hands":iamwithstupid:

But what about inspection?...was it the blind leading the blind?...:eusa_doh:

god I love old cars!
:notworthy:

When I was right out of high school I worked at A.O. Smith in Milwaukee. They built a lot of car frames for Ford and GM. I had 1 week of training and they let me loose on the Corvette line and we stick welded everything. I learned to hate piece work and didn't work there too long. That's just the way it was back then.

While it may not look "Pretty" to you, it has worked for the last 40+ years, and on millions of cars. When working on parts in MP (mass production), there is not time to make it pretty, just workable to specs. When was the last engine you heard of falling out of the car? If you want to have it re-welded to make yourself comfortable, by all means, do it. But, it has worked just fine all of these years.

Thanks to everyone for their input. And yes 69Bee i understand what you're saying. With today's rebuilt engines easily putting out 600+ ft-lbs of torque and wide, sticky tires and HD suspension components, all combines to put more stress on the chassis. So I might as well reinforce the K and add subframe connectors while everything's apart.

And while you're at it, sign me up for one of those 600+ ft.lb. motors....lol. Looking forward to your pictures.

Mine looked like that too after I had it blasted.

But that was a good thing, because after I added a strengthening plate to the steering box support, my welds looked like crap too, so they matched!!!

(Ahem - ONLY because I was trying to match the factory 'correct' method...) :bs:

yup! that's exactly what pc. work looks like, I`ve seen it first hand. most a$$holes don't even care if they put stuff in the jig/fixturing correctly or clamp it down right.

And while you're at it, sign me up for one of those 600+ ft.lb. motors....lol. Looking forward to your pictures.

Dave - why would you want to de-tune your motor down to 600!

- - - Updated - - -

Mine looked like that too after I had it blasted.

But that was a good thing, because after I added a strengthening plate to the steering box support, my welds looked like crap too, so they matched!!!

(Ahem - ONLY because I was trying to match the factory 'correct' method...) :bs:

I want to add a couple reinforcing plates too - if my buddy who's actually doing the welding, has the patience.:gah:

That looks like a really nice blasting job.

I'm not familiar with mineral blasting. What does it entail?

I've cleaned up those welds and slag on every k-member I've restored and powder coated ... and shake my head every time. :D I wouldn't have lasted very long at the factory either.

These guys did wire feed stick weld, a messey inaccurate method. It was strong but they did not care about spatter from welding since nobody used gas to surround the welds.

That looks like a really nice blasting job.

I'm not familiar with mineral blasting. What does it entail?
Not sure of the media but it wasn't sand.

- - - Updated - - -

Please document with lots of pictures and post them here :)

Started Project Overkill yesterday. The steering gear bracket is sturdy enough but there are two openings under the motor mount that I wanted to box in and also the large triangular opening below where the third steering gear bolts to.
IMG_1813.jpg
Reinforced the driver's side motor mount while we're at it.
IMG_1812.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back