• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CREAKS & SQUEAKS

Xtro

Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
My 1969 Dodge Coronet RT really creaks and squeaks in the rear over bumps and going around corners. Its typical old car rear suspension sound and quite noticeable inside the car.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of or limit the noises. Do I need to change the leaf springs or are there any special type of bushes that will get rid of the squeaks? The suspension is working fine its just a bit noisey. Open to all suggestions. Cheers, Rob

Try to isolate it to turns or bumps. Same car, mine is quiet. In the past have had top shock mount noise, but that was more of a rattle and solved when new Bilsteins installed. Subframe connectors really firm things up overall.

My 1969 Dodge Coronet RT really creaks and squeaks in the rear over bumps and going around corners. Its typical old car rear suspension sound and quite noticeable inside the car.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of or limit the noises. Do I need to change the leaf springs or are there any special type of bushes that will get rid of the squeaks? The suspension is working fine its just a bit noisey. Open to all suggestions. Cheers, Rob
Time for new bushings for the springs and shackles and while down there check to see if the insulators between the spring leafs are missing. If your fortunate to have a rear stabilizer bar check the bushings and mounts on that as well.

When I was a teen working in a gas station we used to use a product called "rubber lube" to lubricate all the bushings in the suspension to alleviate squeaks. Now liquid silicone spray will do the same. Also spray the trunk springs and hinges.

Try to isolate it to turns or bumps. Same car, mine is quiet. In the past have had top shock mount noise, but that was more of a rattle and solved when new Bilsteins installed. Subframe connectors really firm things up overall.
Thanks, does it on turns and bumps. It's not a shock tower noise more suspension.

When I was a teen working in a gas station we used to use a product called "rubber lube" to lubricate all the bushings in the suspension to alleviate squeaks. Now liquid silicone spray will do the same. Also spray the trunk springs and hinges.
Ok thanks will try

Time for new bushings for the springs and shackles and while down there check to see if the insulators between the spring leafs are missing. If your fortunate to have a rear stabilizer bar check the bushings and mounts on that as well.
Awesome great, thanks for the tips. I was thinking of bushes but didn't relise you could get insulators in between the leaf springs. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything between them at the moment. I will check it out

Auto Transport Service
Back