• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CRT, Bowler, or Keissler "Manumatic" 727 trans replacement

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
My new big block motor project is underway and I've been looking at aftermarket transmissions. I have a 904 mated to the small block now, but my 451 will require a 727. I did earlier research and narrowed down my selection to an aftermarket trans by CRT (Cope Racing). While I feel that CRT has a good rep and makes a great trans, I'm thinking more and more about doing a setup that will handle autocross if I ever decide to pursue that. Dan W. with his '68 383 said in an article that he went through 4 automatic 727's before he finally converted the car to a manual trans and now it's bulletproof. Every manual car I've had has lasted forever and my auto trans cars usually experience slippage after the first 100K.

So then I came across an article where Bowler tranmissions now offers automatic transmissions that have major improved engine braking and have the feel of a manual without the manual foot clutch. Keissler also offers one and both have good reviews. I'm not sure about CRT and I will phone them soon.

Any of you have experience with these improved engine braking auto transmissions and is there a real benefit? The only downside I see so far is the price - I think the Bowler's start around $4K and the Keissler's are at least as much. The upgraded unit I was looking at from CRT with no engine braking is under $1500, but I want it to last and I'm thinking one of these Manumatic transmissions may be the way to go.

Get a Jericho or Liberty transmission. You can get a four speed for the same price.

I would have considered that, except for the last 2 yrs I've had a sciatic issue in my left lower back that acts up when I drive a clutch car often. Hence, I'm sticking with the automatic. Just looking for a solidly built, long lasting automatic trans and if I can get engine braking as part of that, I'd like to hear opinions from anyone who has tried one.

Isn't the TCI made by Keissler? Yeah, I'm looking for feedback from anyone that's used one of these...I was going to get the CRT mid-level trans for $1500, but if I'm just going to have to replace it or work on it again in 5 yrs, why not spend some extra $$ to get a longer lasting unit? Not that the price of admission is going to be easy to swallow...

By the way, I'm still leaning towards CRT, but I need to give them another call and discuss my possible autocross plans with them. This will be 90% street driven with occasional track time, but the feedback from Dan W. on his 727 woes running the track got me worried...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back