• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crude but Effective--Removing Rear Seat Cushion

Dibbons

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
I could see trying to remove the back seat working alone was not effective. I did not have enough strength/leverage to push in/push down/pull up all at the same time.

I brought out the "tool" I had used previously to install the "u" shaped clip that holds the trunk lock cylinder in place.

I notched the end on the opposite side of the "t-handle" so the PVC would have some way to lock (not slip off) onto the wire on the bottom of the seat that fits into the hook welded to the floor. The seat bottom already has a factory "notch" where you can slide the tool through and/or look inside to find the latch.

It still took a lot of pushing force against that wire to unhook from the "latch" on the floor, but I finally got it popped off. It is diffucult to do this with the front bucket seats installed. And when pushing on the seat bottom without the tool, there is a lot of flex in the seat bottom that prevents the wire from even moving at all.

The last foto demonstrates somewhat how I worked the tool inside the trunk cavity to push that spring clip on, which requires quite a bit of force inside a very inaccessible area.

DSC03906.JPG DSC05511.JPG DSC05512.JPG DSC00635.JPG

Last edited:
On new recovered seats with added material for support/cushioning makes it a bear to get the seat bottom out......The new foam and material wrapped over the back limits the travel to make the removal a PITA....I like your tool idea...I did the same thing but used a round stock and notched the end. On the push end I made a "t" handle and that allowed more tension when pushing....

The last time I pulled my rear seat cushions I came to the realization that I've lost a lot of strength over the years. I wound up having to take out the front seats to get enough leverage.

Auto Transport Service
Back