• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom building my auto body dolly cart.

QOTHL

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
Basically because I'm too cheap...but more importantly, I can do it myself and probably make it better. I'm using 3/16 square tubing, 1/2" #8 bolts and nuts. I've spent about $300 on materials so far and am pretty much done. I spent about 1/2 on the wheels, which are true 8" aluminum hubs and then the poly tread, all swivel, all lock. If you look at Harbor Freight wheels, the overall diameter of the wheel is whatever they say it is, not the hub. I'm looking forward to getting my Charger shell mounted on this frame so it will be easy to move around in my garage.

DSC_0891.jpg

My welds could be better but made the mistake of being too far away from my power source so kept tripping the breaker.
DSC_0892.jpg

Checking the fit before attaching the wheels and welding the nuts in place. I had scrap sheet metal and made the channel pieces so if they don't look perfect, that's why.
DSC_0905.jpg
DSC_0904.jpg

I want to thank 68Moparmaniac for the inspiring idea to modify this design to accommodate being able to "rock" the shell and hoist the front end to be able to roll the engine and trans already mounted to the K frame under the body. I'm still working on that and will post photos of this job when it's done.

Last edited:
Great going, want to see it when done.
:popcorn2:
Yes have had to fab. things my self to make the job easy. Good work. :thumbsup:

I'm very grateful for the help and encouragement from the people on this forum. Many members have great ideas on how to work on these cars and do it right which is my ultimate goal.

I finished welding nuts on the pieces of this cart today. Should be functional as soon as I bolt the wheels on it which won't be today! The two wheels shown are both labeled as 8" but the red one with the aluminum hub is truly 8" and has 1000lb capacity each. The other is from Harbor Freight and has an overall height of 8".

The "V" pieces and other parts with pipe are for the modifications inspired by 68Moparmaniac's dolly design so that the front end can be lifted with an engine hoist. This facilitates being able to roll the engine and trans on the K frame under the body. Great idea! Glad he posted photos!
DSC_0909.jpg
DSC_0910.jpg
DSC_0912.jpg
DSC_0913.jpg
DSC_0911.jpg

I made extensions that bolted where the fender brackets go. Put those wheel's on so I could roll the car in the shop. On the front. Look's good will like to see it when done. :thumbsup:

I made extensions that bolted where the fender brackets go. Put those wheel's on so I could roll the car in the shop. On the front. Look's good will like to see it when done. :thumbsup:

I just copied and combined designs I saw online. Any kind of extension could be fabricated to hold or bolt on. This has "cradles" that the frame sits in - I'll be putting rubber cushioning on them. The modified pieces will bolt to the car when the time comes. This will pack up fairly "small". Also, I have more than one type of car so this is probably more universal. Thanks for the encouragement. Hope to test assemble tomorrow or Fri before the dust bowl hits!

Great going, want to see it when done.
:popcorn2:

Test fit with wheels today. I'll need to make some minor adjustments and fix a minor error by drilling more holes on the correct side...Other than that it seems to work pretty well, even though it may not be "dead on balls accurate", to quote my hero Miss Vito in My Cousin Vinny. The wheels are great, in my opinion, and did spend time looking for something that would work well and have plenty of weight capacity. As I may have mentioned, they will hold 1000 lbs each. The tubing is 3/16 which is probably overkill but would rather have too much than failure with my car on it. I tested the brakes and the wheels will not move when "on".

DSC_0914.jpg
DSC_0915.jpg
DSC_0916.jpg

The pipe option is for the modification inspired by 68Moparmaniac.
DSC_0917.jpg
DSC_0918.jpg

Great work, you won't have to build another one, unless you need two.

Should be a grate help to you. Tool's do make the job easy. Good job on the fab work. :thumbsup:

Should be a grate help to you. Tool's do make the job easy. Good job on the fab work. :thumbsup:

The welds could be prettier but the fusion is good along with the penetration. It's not coming apart. Wonder if I should paint it... Thanks for the compliment!

The welds could be prettier but the fusion is good along with the penetration. It's not coming apart. Wonder if I should paint it... Thanks for the compliment!
I would paint it for inside use. If you're going to have it outside for any length of time I would powder coat it. Just my opinion.

Auto Transport Service
Back