• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Built Exhaust

snakeoil24

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone built their own exhaust system using stainless steel Pipe. I wanto build my own using 409 stainless. I can tig weld and mig weld. I have never done any exhaust bends. I have a 1967 Dodge Coronet, with TTI Exhaust, 472 Cube Hemi and auto. I want the better look of stainless but 304 is just to expensive, was wondering about 409 any help appriciated.

409 is a titanium stabilised ferritic stainless steel. Although regarded as a general-purpose chromium stainless steel the primary application for Grade 409 is automotive exhaust systems. Its applications are those where appearance is a secondary consideration to mechanical properties and corrosion resistance and where some weldability is required.

More highly stabilised versions of 409 are useful where 409 has been proven marginal - these grades S40910, S40920 and S40930 are stabilised with titanium, niobium or both titanium and niobium.

That's off the internet.....many cars come from the factory with SS systems and it holds up for a long time but I also suspect that systems last for a long time due to the lack of leaded fuels. But with that said, standard steel will still rust away with lack of use or when a vehicle is subjected to short trips where the exhaust never gets completely dry. I think a system with the 409 would last for many years no matter and is easily welded with MIG or TIG or even STICK if you know how to weld thin metals using stick....

Auto Transport Service
Back