• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Paint Schemes

HYRDGOON

Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
Would love to see any pics of cars that strayed away from the way Ma Mopar intended them. I keep looking at my RR and knowing that someday in the not-to-distant future it will get a complete refresh I keep running different ideas in my head that take it away from the classic RR - 2 hood stripe look.

Sox & Martin style looks good on that body.

I'm going with a gloss black probably below the body line on the side of the car &
probably with a red accents, semi gloss A12 lift off hood, w-some red pinstripes accents,
maybe also engine call outs on the side of the 6bbl scoop too,
styled similar to below, but with the OE paint color LL1 Surf Turquoise Metallic
{where the Ultra Flat Black is now} on the rest,
also probably black chrome, where any of the OE chrome/stainless is now,
wheels will remain Polished Mag., unless I go to a different style like the "as cast",
with polished outers Saltflat style Halibrand repops...

that is when I ever get around to it anyway...LOL

kind of a my personal mixture/homage to or of 68-69 GTX/RR styling ques

I'm not a flashy type guy, just want to be different,
but not veer too far from the styling ques of the classics from Plymouth
so I don't look like every other 68-69 RR out there

Attachments

• 68 RR #17 Apr 26 2011.JPG
    68 RR #17 Apr 26 2011.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 445
I don't have finished pics yet but will in a few weeks and will post then. But I did just what you suggested and veered from the maroon ma mopar color as I restored my car of 43 years. I'm not really a purist - wanted the look to be a bit different. I chose a Lexus Black Garnett Pearl - paint code 3Q2. It's a very dark pearl burgundy. I did keep the white stripes as I thought they would compliment the color. And the six pack hood will be satin black. Not flat but with a slight sheen. The painter is working on it now and I'm itching to see it finished - and frankly a little nervous too!

The car is a 68 so not a true six pack. I have the holly set up on there and again the hood. I also built the motor - leathered the interior and a few other things. I've had the car soooooo long (since I was 18) that I don't care what anyone else thinks. I'm kind of a built em like you like em kind of guy. Hope that color does it justice.

I understand your thinking - as stated will post the finished pics shortly. It's been 4 years under restoration.

I don't have finished pics yet but will in a few weeks and will post then. But I did just what you suggested and veered from the maroon ma mopar color as I restored my car of 43 years. I'm not really a purist - wanted the look to be a bit different. I chose a Lexus Black Garnett Pearl - paint code 3Q2. It's a very dark pearl burgundy. I did keep the white stripes as I thought they would compliment the color. And the six pack hood will be satin black. Not flat but with a slight sheen. The painter is working on it now and I'm itching to see it finished - and frankly a little nervous too!

The car is a 68 so not a true six pack. I have the holly set up on there and again the hood. I also built the motor - leathered the interior and a few other things. I've had the car soooooo long (since I was 18) that I don't care what anyone else thinks. I'm kind of a built em like you like em kind of guy. Hope that color does it justice.

I understand your thinking - as stated will post the finished pics shortly. It's been 4 years under restoration.

That sounds like it's going to look real good! Definitely get some pics up when you get it back.

I may have to go to a 6 pak hood myself if my carb hat doesn't fit under the A/G hood. If that's the case I will also have to paint the top fenders and cowl because they currently tie into the AG Hood.

If the A/G Hood stays I'm thinking of just blacking it out instead of having the classic RR stripes. I've also been admiring a lot of cars lately that have tucked/body colour bumpers but can't really find any on a RR/GTX... Kind of makes me think if no-one does it that no-one thinks it would suit that style.

I'm a big fan of making your car "your" own so I'm curious to see which route you go. I for one like to see some Mopar specific graphics thrown in just to say "Yeah it's a Mopar" but also like to see people deviate from stock on the color. For your car I've always thought they looked best in ORANGE or silver but am in love with the new burnt orange you see on some of the newer colors. I like the idea of doing the blacked out hood but would keep a body color trim around the hood so it looks better from the front (not colored fenders and a black hood deviding it).

Here is my 64. I did not do this paint job I bought it this way. If you look closely you can see ghost flames with pentastars also.

View attachment 256934Picture 007.jpg

Attachments

• 64 dodge 044.jpg
    64 dodge 044.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 375
Paint

Mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 336
mines 2 tone black on top but dark blue below very subtle

20150123_111637.jpg

There is a silver metallic road runner on my local auto auction calendar that is awesome looking, it has a black lift off hood. I was thinking the same as Hydrgoon.

Auto Transport Service
Back