• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting torsion bar aft mount bracket

Frankb

Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
I would like to cut a 3/4 inch hole, on forward and aft side, of passenger side torsion bar mount bracket to run a fuel line. Currently my lines are in the factory positions. Car is Sniper EFI so there are two metal lines. I have AN fittings with -6 steel hose for connections at tank and at carb. Car has subframe connectors and torque box, front and rear. Forward end of passenger sub frame connector is welded to torsion bar aft mount bracket. New lines would run down inboard side of passenger frame connector but I need a hole in the torsion bar mount bracket to make this work so new line could go through the torsion bar mount bracket. Will doing this weaken the mount bracket to any noticeable degree? Any at all? Or will the mount buckle at the first burn out??Car has 512 wedge and makes a lot of torque. I want to do this for a cleaner install of the fuel lines.
Frank

I have done that on many cars without issue (or frame ties) i run the fuel lines outside of the frame rail and through the fenderwell to avoid the bellhousing area. This also keeps them away from the headers and exhaust system.

I would sleeve the hole. Having a tube welded in would add strength and protect the lines better.
On my convertible with EFI, running the hard lines like original along inside of frame. Not racing, so don't need to have lines outside of bellhousing area.
If I was racing, I would likely just weld in a protective plate or tube for the lines around the bellhousing.

Just did this for a customer. Sub frame connectors are going in next. If you look closely outside the passenger header on the racecar you'll see the fuel line cutout. The racecar has the line outside of the subframe connector in pic #3. Both had a tube welded in. The racecar section was cutout so line could be removed. The street car hole was big enough to slip a -10 thru. The smaller hole is for the battery cable.
Doug
20211220_181853.jpg

0504141459a.jpg

20200320_165406.jpg

Last edited:
Agree , good advice, open hole just enough for sleeve to slip through, weld it in and your good to go!

I use grommets through the holes. That sheet metal box is not going to deflect in the direction the torsion bars are loading it. Having a feed and return line in the area of the torsion bar/header area gets too cluttered for my taste.

Thanks for info guys. I like the idea of welding a tube in.
Frank

Auto Transport Service
Back