• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CVF Wraptor serpentine system with "GM type 2" power steering pump. What power steering box is best?

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
70 440 6bbl Roadrunner.
I have some manufacturers to contact, but Borgeson is one I usually hear about.
I want to make sure that whatever power steering box I replace my manual steering box with is compatible with the Wraptor's "GM type 2" power steering pump.
I am also installing a QA1 tubular K-member and complete front suspension system. To be clear, I use my car for road trips related to car events and shows, and on test and tune night at the drag strip. I'm not interested in a faster ratio steering box, that could actually be detrimental at the drag strip because I don't want any input at the steering wheel to be amplified by the steering box.
Open to suggestions, links are appreciated.

My buddy installed the Borgeson on his 64 Dodge wagon. Just a cruiser Very happy with it. That's all I know.

I have the same pump, with my Revolver setup. I called about the Borg and was told no issues, but advised to run a cooler.... I'm still putting it together though...

Steer n Gear, Firm Feel (go with stage 2 on either box. Now for double the price, Borgenson. The other 2 boxes are bolt in with zero modifications to anything, Borgenson on the other hand will require steering column mods and new hoses.

FirmFeel.com
SteerNGear.com

The stage 2 boxes from either of them is the right feel/feedback. I used both, on 2 different b bodies and I never had a complaint. Although FF will take weeks to get cause you need to send in your box then it’s gone through. SteernGear has them on the shelf ready to go.

Yup, that’s correct.

So it looks like this is the unit I should buy for my 1970 Roadrunner.
I only have a manual steering box, so I am going to sell it here at FBBO or see if/what SteerAndGear would give me for it:
Screenshot_20191018-200405_Chrome.jpg

Does this "power to manual column adapter" adapt my manual steering column TO power?? Is this the solution? Or should I look at the "rag joint" I think I've seen? Also I assume "Level 2" is what they call "Modern"?
I am asking here on the forum first, but I will probably ask S&G too.
Screenshot_20191018-200327_Chrome.jpg

Mancini has this Borgeson power steering box for $567
Screenshot_20191018-201744_Chrome.jpg

But then it looks like I need this too...
Screenshot_20191018-202312_Chrome.jpg

Do you know if I need some kind of adapter or U-Joint with the SteerAndGear?

The power box is longer than manual, so I don’t think you’ll need that adapter. You may need to shorten the column?

The Borgenson box is bolt in, but an adapter u joint is needed. Do not buy theirs!!! Way to expensive. Get one from eBay or other place. That box is really nice, you’ll need adapters for the hoses though.

You may need to shorten the column?
I've read that the column shaft has to be cut.
Get one from eBay or other place.
A Borgeson?
That box is really nice, you’ll need adapters for the hoses though.
The Borgeson? But bought from Ebay?
As far as hoses go, I am going to lean on the company I bought the Wraptor from to sell me the hoses I need.
Also a cooler may be "highly recommended"?? Even though I am only cruising or going "mostly" straight on a drag strip?
Lots of questions, I know, but I am spending a lot and want to do the right, best thing!

Just cut it, no biggie.

Source it from elsewhere, I got mine from eBay, was about 25 bucks cheaper.

Borgenson box is nice, if you get that on, you will like it. I think the type 2 pump uses a 5/8 inverted flare, and the Borgenson box uses a 18mm to -6 and fittings. They are machined for the box and are stainless!

A cooler will be nice, lots of choices to chose from.

Source it from elsewhere, I got mine from eBay, was about 25 bucks cheaper.
Honestly, for $25 I'd rather deal with Mancini than some random seller on Ebay.
I'll ask Mancini about the coupler or anything else I may need.
A cooler will be nice, lots of choices to chose from.
I chose the remote reservoir, so that may make plumbing in a cooler easier.
LAST QUESTION
For MY application, cruising roads and highways, and at the drag strip, is the Borgeson BETTER than the SteerAndGear or vice/versa, and which one is smaller?

It’s a quicker ratio, but the other 2 are just a good, but in my opinion, the Borgenson edges them both. It’s smaller, lighter, faster, and I think you’ll like it much more than the stock boxes that are gone through.

Glad to help out.

We want to see pics when you get it installed!

I got the Black Diamond finish to go along with the finish on my valve covers I like so much!
20150926_131142.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-174717_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-174704_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-174650_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back