• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cyclocross

Scott Engelhardt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone here race cyclocross? I may have put my foot in my mouth but I promised my grandson that I would race one weekend next year. I have about 8 months to prepare. I have my mountain bike on the trainer now and have been scanning Craigslist for a used bike. It should be a fun journey
Sorry this post is here twice. I can’t figure out how to delete one of them.

I have one for dirt roads and gravel-grindin' but I don't race it, I'm a road guy...really I would look into your local Facebook cycling marketplace before craigslist if you're looking to pick one up. Good luck!

Great stuff! You are making a memory your grandson will always cherish!

I am also more of a road bike guy, although I now have a "gravel bike" (essentially a road bike with bigger wheels to handle moderate off road stuff). Whatever you do, get a bike that fits you right. A $400 bike that fits is better than a $4000 bike that doesn't. Be sure your power triangle is set right. Here are a few suggestions for fit:
  1. The ball of your foot needs to be where the shaft of the pedal is.
  2. Set seat height so you leg is almost straight in the pedal down position.
  3. Set seat fore/aft. Do this by placing your pedal facing forward (90 degrees before the bottom). Hang a plumb bob from the little bone just below your knee cap. It should be in line with the pedal shaft and ball of your foot. Adjust seat until it is.
  4. NOW mess with your hands and handlebars. DO NOT screw up steps 1-3 to get your hands better positioned - it will screw up other things. Adjust your hands using a different stem or other adjustments. If you can't adjust this well, then the bike does not fit you well.
For riding, get clipless pedals and pedal CIRCLES (don't just push down). Down takes care of itself. For the bottom of the stroke, imagine you stepped in dog crap and are wiping it off your foot. For the up and over, imagine you are stepping over a log with your back leg on a hiking trail. Put these things together and you will get good pedal power, go faster and be happier!

Hopefully the above things will help you have a good time while doing it too!

Good Luck and have fun!

Hawk

My race will be more of a participation thing but I am going to do it.
I will buy some pedals and shoes this week and set up on my mountain bike.
My local bike shop switched over to all specialized bikes and I want to see what they have for new. I guess why spend 700 for used when I can get fitted for 1200

My race will be more of a participation thing but I am going to do it.
I will buy some pedals and shoes this week and set up on my mountain bike.
My local bike shop switched over to all specialized bikes and I want to see what they have for new. I guess why spend 700 for used when I can get fitted for 1200
If you're going to deal with a shop, ask them if they have any "last year's model" stuff still on the floor. If they do, sometimes you can get a really good deal as they are always looking to move older inventory (like a car lot). Depends on the shop of course, but worth a shot. The 'new hotness' is always top dollar...
And, depending on how far into it you want to get, when you start hitting the trainer look up 'cycling intervals'. It's a method of alternating easy spinning with max effort and helps build the legs and cardio together, good stuff.

There is only one bike shop that I will buy from. I want to support them because they are so involved with the community. They sponsor family rides every Sunday, a big road race, and a big cyclocross race. So I want to support them.

Auto Transport Service
Back