• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dad Builds $3,000 Chicken Coop To Get 16 Cent Eggs For Free

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
February 17th, 2022
article-10526-1.jpg

BIRMINGHAM, AL—According to sources, local dad Dave Manheart recently completed a project that will help enable his family to save money on groceries. After much research and 10 weekends of hard labor, Dave has succeeded in constructing a backyard chicken coop. With a small investment of just $3000 on lumber and supplies, he now can get 16¢ eggs for free.

"With the supply chain issues and inflation, it's important to be independent," said Manheart. "Plus, this new chicken coop will look really great on my wife's Instagram feed, which is what this whole thing is really about."

Local witnesses described Manheart's pride in the newly constructed chicken coop as “really cute.” His wife assured reporters that they will enjoy eating ten eggs a day since they are free.

After leveling a spot in the backyard with a backhoe Dave rented for just $500, putting together the coop was fairly easy and only resulted in two trips to the emergency room with accidental injuries. “Dave says his back will be fine now that he’s no longer lifting lumber, and the doctors had no problem re-attaching his finger,” said his appreciative wife Deb.

“Daddy bought the cutest little baby chicks!” said his little girl. “But then our dog Buster ate them so we had to get new chicks.” The dog now has an $800 invisible fence to keep him away from the chicken coop.

“That was totally worth it,” said Dave as he proudly surveyed his handiwork.

At the time of publication, the homeowners association had issued a fine of $500 for the unapproved chicken coop.

$3000 Construction Lumber Supplies

$500 Rental

Two Medical Trips - Priceless

Baby Chicks - Twice

$800 Invisible Fence

$500 Fine

16 cent eggs - Cooking right now , with ham , however milk is at $3.25 a gallon

Plenty of cows in WI - Ones that produce Milk , and ones that produce plenty of headaches

You can buy a coop that size at rural king for $750.

Goats might be easier to keep than cows, if you're OK with goat milk.

I might be able to live on milk, eggs, and fish.

And now add in the cost of chicken feed.
Dang it, I was going to compare this to something else but that would get this moved elsewhere.

Penny wise dollar foolish! I will say fresh eggs are way better than store eggs. Daughter buys me fresh duck eggs once in a while, whites are a little rubbery.

Fresh Eggs $5ish a Dozen around here
Then if raise a few Chickens for meat
Which can go $20-$25 a bird

both products so much better than most store bought stuff and healthier for you

Social media stunt. Clicks. Chickens will probably end up in a no kill shelter after a few months.

Social media stunt. Clicks. Chickens will probably end up in a no kill shelter after a few months.
......or just a humorous story.
It reminds me of the money we spend and try to justify.
My 5 speed conversion cost over $7000 after factoring in everything. For me to say that I did it for the fuel economy increase would be really stupid. Same goes for the guys that convert to fuel injection. It almost always results in a cleaner running engine that makes less peak power.

HOA?

Why would you even?

Gonna have to play the idiot card.

However, FL (or county) recently passed some "residential chickens" legislation that makes them OK, or maybe greatly expands the zoning where they are allowed.

Then if raise a few Chickens for meat
Which can go $20-$25 a bird

Wow that's some expensive chicken. Actually called hen since it was for laying eggs. Around here whole hens go for $1-2 a pound (3-4lb each). Mostly used for soup as the meat is not as tender.

This story is like an Aesop fable but some people are just really into the chicken stuff. I have a coworker that basically built a club med for her miniature chickens (seramas) and gives away the mountains of quail egg sized mini eggs they lay every week. It's her hobby and they are her pets. She keeps it below the fenceline to hide from HOA. Meanwhile my wife looks at my car and sees a pile of scrap metal, and I see her fancy purses as money pits. The last part is really funny if you think about piecing together a classic mopar. There is a market for selling classic designer purses too, which she justifies to me the same as I justify my car for the hagerty appraised value. Everyone has their thing.

Wow that's some expensive chicken. Actually called hen since it was for laying eggs. Around here whole hens go for $1-2 a pound (3-4lb each). Mostly used for soup as the meat is not as tender.
I guess depends on the type of chicken
And how you raise em agree it’s expensive but to raise good eating birds it’s going to be pricey for the end user
The eggs are the side hustle

No-one who has ever swung a hammer picks it up that way.
That guy has likely never built anything except perhaps a Lego house.

if what's being talked about in the PF ever really happens...

Watch how fast I get me some chickens and goats.

Auto Transport Service
Back