• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dad Gives 2-Hour Demonstration On How To Flip A Light Switch To The 'Off' Position

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
February 16th, 2022
article-10521-2.jpg

FRANKLIN, MN—Amid growing frustration with lights being left on around the house, local father James Darabont sat his kids down to demonstrate how to flip a light switch to the "Off" position. The two-hour lecture and workshop went over when to turn a light switch off (always) and how to manipulate your fingers to accomplish such a task.

"When you commit to a flipping action," said Mr. Darabont, "you must make sure the light switch goes alllll the way down. If you do not commit fully to the action, the switch may not fully click in the 'down' position. This will raise Daddy's power bill immensely!"

Richard and Annabelle Darabont, ages 7 and 12 respectively, reportedly got the message after five minutes but had to sit through a further 115 minutes and take a final exam.

According to sources, both children failed.

"Kids, if you don't turn the lights off then how will you learn to take care of yourselves?" the disappointed father said. "Leaving the lights on when no one is in the room is exactly the same as stealing."

James Darabont eventually had to cut his lesson short so his wife could begin a 3-day lecture on how to clean up after yourself.

That's me at the lake with visitors, not only kids but the adults as well. Day after day bedroom lights left on when they're outside ffs... do they do this at home or just to piss me off?!!

Would have required a semester long course in my house including my wife as a student. Then it was leaving windows open when the A/C was on. Something happened along the way though...when my kids grew up and moved out to their own places; energy efficient all the way!

My wife had a habit of leaving the bathroom fans running. Neither bathroom is on the main floor so requires a few stairs to either and she has trouble walking and with stairs in particular. Depending where she's been, it wasn't uncommon to find both fans going. In winter they're sucking hot air out of the house and in summer sucking cold air out which ultimately hits the utility bill. As many can attest, discussion is futile and generally resulted in an "oh, **** off". In desperation I installed timers on both fans. That's $60 I should have spent years ago !!

In "the old days" lights were expensive, sucked a lot of power and gave off significant heat. But with LEDs being so cheap, lasting forever and using very little energy, the only reason to turn off lights these days is to darken the room.

My wife had a habit of leaving the bathroom fans running. Neither bathroom is on the main floor so requires a few stairs to either and she has trouble walking and with stairs in particular. Depending where she's been, it wasn't uncommon to find both fans going. In winter they're sucking hot air out of the house and in summer sucking cold air out which ultimately hits the utility bill. As many can attest, discussion is futile and generally resulted in an "oh, **** off". In desperation I installed timers on both fans. That's $60 I should have spent years ago !!

In "the old days" lights were expensive, sucked a lot of power and gave off significant heat. But with LEDs being so cheap, lasting forever and using very little energy, the only reason to turn off lights these days is to darken the room.
"Fu** off" is hallway sex you know. The only sex I get anymore. :rofl:

I installed a timer on out bathroom heater as well. Smartest thing you can do.

Thanks for reminding me how GREAT it is to be single

"Fu** off" is hallway sex you know. The only sex I get anymore. :rofl:

I installed a timer on out bathroom heater as well. Smartest thing you can do.
Thats why you don't marry... Just hire hookers... They never get fat and they treat you like a king ......

My wife grew up in a home where all the lights were on all the time. It has taken me 47 years to get her to turn off the light when she leaves the room. 12 rooms accomplished. Only 2 more rooms to go. Should have this problem solved by our 50th anniversary.

Would have required a semester long course in my house including my wife as a student. Then it was leaving windows open when the A/C was on. Something happened along the way though...when my kids grew up and moved out to their own places; energy efficient all the way!
Maybe ?
Because they are 'paying for it now' not someone else, "you"...

I understand completely
raising 4 girls, (3 daughters & a niece, the oldest girl)
multiple lights were always on everywhere
the 2 boys were tasked with (they're the 2 oldest too)
turning them off whenever they saw them on

not just 1 light in a room all the damn lights
(thank god SMUD was way cheaper than PG&E is, by like 40%)

it caused a few riffs,
especially when the girls were still in the rooms

Girls would yell out "dad or Uncle Bart"
"Keith (my nephew the oldest) or James is turning off the lights again

followed by high fives to the boys
Lisa would just snicker, she knew the program...

You know who’s getting free heat and/or electric, when you walk into an apartment and every single light is on or the heat is up to 80

When I come home during the day and no one is there, always at least three lights left on. Also I get that heavy sign when I ask lights to be turned off by both of the family I live with. Yeah I forget once in a while but come on do you really need to turn any lights on in the day light?

That's my wife...but with the TV. When left on I switch to hdmi. ...she has no clue how to get it back to cable input. That works for a month or so then I have to retrain her. It's kinda fun

That's me at the lake with visitors, not only kids but the adults as well. Day after day bedroom lights left on when they're outside ffs... do they do this at home or just to piss me off?!!
You have a lake house, classic cars and planes and you’re worried about a light bill?

AC89CBD1-8F4A-417D-AAD1-907D8116F3A4.gif

Ha ha...

Auto Transport Service
Back