• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daily driver?

someoneanywhere

Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity:
Is anyone here using their 66-67 Charger as a daily driver?
My wife and I bought our 67 to rebuild it (engine-trans interior, etc..) as our end of life daily driver. Almost completed, except for Chinese garbage hyd. lifter issues which we think we have now cured.
We both hate the plastic electronic trash of modern manufacture so we hope to slide out our retirement in the Charger. God willing, of course!

I use mine as my daily driver but since I'm retired it's really an every 3rd or 4th day driver. It's probably my last car too and I am tired of dealing with PCM's, sensors and dealers.

I have the same plan for my 63 440. Absolutely go for it! Maintain it yourself till you die!

Im only driving classics. I got a 69 charger r/t, 72 cutlass supreme and a 560 sec.
Yesterday i was putting around 600 miles on the cutlass. No Problems whats o ever. :)

I use my 73 Charger as my daily driver...It's a 440...Eventually I'm going to dig up a nice slant six car to use sometimes...

With a few exceptions these cool MOPARS were built to be daily drivers. Were they not? They are still as reliable as they were 'back in the day' if not customised beyond reliability.

With a few exceptions these cool MOPARS were built to be daily drivers. Were they not? They are still as reliable as they were 'back in the day' if not customised beyond reliability.

This!

Those cars, parts and labor today aren't cheap.
Buying one and not driving it much while still paying the bills doesn't make sense to me.
I bought mine because i use them as daily drivers. Otherwise i would've bought something else. :)

This!

Those cars, parts and labor today aren't cheap.
Buying one and not driving it much while still paying the bills doesn't make sense to me.
I bought mine because i use them as daily drivers. Otherwise i would've bought something else. :)
ALSO: If not execised regularly you'll most likely find yourself replacing a bunch of seals & other soft parts.
Probably only if it sits for months & years though.
If it's insured use it every chance you can (until you use up your miles if limited).
These old cars LIKE to be driven as intended, just my opinion of course. People like to see them. Why should they have to go to car museums to do so?
Driving them brings joy to those who can not afford the price of admission!

Since I retired in 2016, I drive mine quite often. Not every day, but if it's sunny, it's time for a for a drive ! I do store the car from mid November to mid March.

My daily drivers are small block A bodies
Built to drive. Very reliable and nimble.
Anti sway bar front ends.
Built them when you could still find perfectly good A Bodies in the junk yard 20 years ago.
Pound puppies that no one wanted.
Sime people at work scoffed at me for driving a "Ruster".
Now, I get questions and comments all the time at the gas pump or at the stop light.
I drove 80 miles a day to work.
"Hey!. Want to sell that car" they ask.
But I live where year round driving is possible
No road salt.

If the roads are dry, but had been salted like a week ago, anyone think it's safe to drive on the road and not get damage?

If the roads are dry, but had been salted like a week ago, anyone think it's safe to drive on the road and not get damage?
I’m from a snowy part of Canada, my answer would be no. Is dry better than wet? For sure. Could you wash it underneath quickly afterwards? I just wouldn’t take the risk with a restored car. Maybe with a driver car. Normally I wait until the roads are dry AND swept before going anywhere. Gravel is our other enemy.

66 CH.jpg
66 CH.jpg
not a daily driver maybe every other day not in winter my 66 has done 10 power ours one year around 4000 miles in 7 days 66 CH.jpg

Well, drove mine today, 40 degrees out, clear roads, I enjoy it!

Most insurance companies will not insure a classic as your primary vehicle. Hagerty and maybe Grundy do not have mileage limits on classic insurance.

Be sure to weigh the pros and cons. It's good to keep a modern primary vehicle to drive in inclimate weather.

I drive a 2016 Nissan Frontier and most days drive my 69 El Camino. I rarely drive the Coronet.

Last edited:
Rebuilding my '66 Charger slowly. It's my daily driver. A lot of rain up here in Washington state.

Auto Transport Service
Back