1. Tang1964

Tang1964 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:24 AM
    Has anyone ever tried or ran a Dakota five speed in there classic ?

2. F4R/T

F4R/T Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:24 AM
    Depends on which one your referring to.. I have a Dakota with the AX15 and it’s ok not the best but I wouldn’t put anything too hot in front of it.. I’ve never had any real issues with it but seals and synchros , 450k on it so no complaints other than 90w is thick when it’s cold.

• Like Like x 1
    • Tang1964

Tang1964 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      6:24 AM
      I never have understood why I don’t see more use in old school stuff. It’s the same bell housing as all the LA series, right ?

• F4R/T

F4R/T Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      It is the same bolt pattern as the LA engines. It could handle a stock 5.2 with no problems. It doesn’t have a high torque rating so I think that’s probably why. There was also a small New Venture unit that used I just can’t recall the unit number for sure. I think it was a NV3500 there may have also been a New Process for the four cyl models in the 90s. The 3500 probably be the stronger of them all.. I would check the info on the particular trans you would want to use. I would also check to see what is or isn’t metric on them.

• Cranky

Cranky Henchman #27 Staff Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    • Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      9:24 AM
      Dodge used the NV2500/NP535 transmission from 1987 till around 1992 behind the 3.9 and 5.2 engines in the Dakotas and D100 trucks. This could be a decent choice for a stock motor cruiser where you want an OD choice.

We never had an problems with the transmission back in the day but a bellhousing alignment issue caused some clutch release problems and required offset alignment pins to center the bellhousing.

Cliff Ramsdell

• Like Like x 1
      • sm41

sm41 New Member

Local Time:
        The later AX15 is decently strong, lots of us Jeep guys keep the stock transmission when 5.9 or LS swapping. Bunch of V8 Broncos running around with AX15s too. They're not strong enough, nor is the spread great for a drag car, but they're great for a budget fun street car.

There is also the Chevy Colorado/Pontiac Solstice 5 speed, which has the same case, and will work with minor input shaft trimming. The spreads are slightly better, and the guys at Mallett thought they were strong enough for an LS2.

• Like Like x 1
        • 65wgn440

65wgn440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I was just checking out this same subject thread on FABO. I think you might get more feedback on that site.

• sm41

sm41 New Member

Local Time:
          They've talked about it a good bit, most aren't very high on them. A-bodies have to modify the torsion bar crossmember and a huge section of floor, which honestly for most people is more work than it's worth vs an aftermarket transmission or an A833 +OD that would fit better.

The people I've talked to with B-bodies who have done it with reasonable expectations are very happy. They're great for a fun street cruiser, and they work great with a cheap highway gear axle because of the steeper 1st and 2nd gear. Only cutting that needs to be done is the hole for the shifter to pop through.

• toolmanmike

toolmanmike Henchman #2 Staff Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          Those are toploaders aren't they? What do you guys do for a shifter?

• sm41

sm41 New Member

Local Time:
          Hurst and B&M have shifters for the AX15. Personally, I find the stock shifter in my '91 Wrangler pretty dang tight, and think would be decently suited to a car with the lever cut down and rethreaded.

• Like Like x 1
          1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.