• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damn Power steering box leak..... can I fix it?

Canadian1968

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I had the power steering box rebuilt about 4 years ago now. It has been trouble free, until this year, I noticed a leak . Its a 68 Charger, and the leak is coming from the top, where its half dome piece is, with a screw and lock nut. The leak is coming right around the screw that has the nut on it. This looks like an adjustment of some sort, very similar to the flow bowls on holley carb.

Can I try loosening the lock nut and right tighten?

Thoughts suggestions ?

Seems like those had a aluminum tab for a gasket. Is it there?
Mike

I will have to check. The car is currently up in the air for a converter change. Once that finished I will dig into the pump .

I would hope the gasket is there! But we all know it's not a good idea to assume ! If it's not there I'm sure that I could get a new one from somewhere ?

I took the nut off today . There was no washer/gasket but I did notice the nut had a flare on it ? Is this a newer style ? Maybe done when it was rebuilt 4 years ago? Or should I still have a gasket of some sort in there?

IF I do need this gasket any idea where I could source one ?

20220604_173106.jpg

20220604_173052.jpg

I am not familar with that style nut. Just make a gasket out of aluminum and try it.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back