• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DAMN power steering leak..... maybe some loctite ?

Canadian1968

Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting a leak from my powersteering gearbox. It is coming from the adjusting screw for the sector shaft. I tried adding an aluminum gasket under the lock nut but no success. The oil is actually coming up threw the threads of the adjusting screw and then leaking down onto the box. I thought it was really weird place to leak but I am 100% sure that is the path it is taking .
I was wondering if putting some loctite on the screw and then re tighten the lock nut? The loctite would fill the threads and should stop the leak ??

Here is a picture of the lock nut that was on it. And a picture showing exactly where it is coming from

20220604_173040.jpg

20220604_173106.jpg

ffi_power_steering_box_rebuild_1.jpg

Loctite is not a sealer. I’d use Teflon pipe thread paste. Even though those are not pipe threads it should work, depending how high the pressure is there.

The nut shape looks like maybe an O ring is supposed to be there.

I'm getting a leak from my powersteering gearbox. It is coming from the adjusting screw for the sector shaft. I tried adding an aluminum gasket under the lock nut but no success. The oil is actually coming up threw the threads of the adjusting screw and then leaking down onto the box. I thought it was really weird place to leak but I am 100% sure that is the path it is taking .
I was wondering if putting some loctite on the screw and then re tighten the lock nut? The loctite would fill the threads and should stop the leak ??

Here is a picture of the lock nut that was on it. And a picture showing exactly where it is coming from

View attachment 1301511

View attachment 1301512

View attachment 1301513
Hey, I am having the same leak you had, I called Stuart in Ontario and couldn't get a solution. there is a seal in there but mine is deteriorated and I purchased a gates and Edelman kit and those kits do not have that seal. My parts manual says the adjusting shaft seal is part number 1822203. Ive searched everywhere and can't come across that part. Did you ever get a solution the leak? Thanks

Hey, I am having the same leak you had, I called Stuart in Ontario and couldn't get a solution. there is a seal in there but mine is deteriorated and I purchased a gates and Edelman kit and those kits do not have that seal. My parts manual says the adjusting shaft seal is part number 1822203. Ive searched everywhere and can't come across that part. Did you ever get a solution the leak? Thanks
I have yet to solve the problem . It's a slow leak so doesn't stop me from driving the car. I was thinking of trying an O-ring this year to see if it will solve the problem !

Get an O-Ring that will snugly fit on adjusting screw (you have to roll it on), and when you tighten the nut, it will squish the O-Ring to seal it all up. Make sure the O-Ring has some girth to it and not too thin.

PS-STEERing.jpg

Get an O-Ring that will snugly fit on adjusting screw (you have to roll it on), and when you tighten the nut, it will squish the O-Ring to seal it all up. Make sure the O-Ring has some girth to it and not too thin.

View attachment 1448496
Thanks, I found an O ring that is close out of an automotive air conditioning compressor repair kit that might seal it. it's got some girth but not tight enough you have to roll it on. I'm on the home stretch restoring an old Coronet, the gear box was leaking from all over. The first pic is the original deformed and worn seal that came out of it, its shaped like a cone, bigger at the top smaller at bottom. I just found what's supposed to be a 1822203 seal on eBay but it looks like a regular rubber washer but small enough to fit. See pic. I am wondering if this is really the OEM style washer, it would need to squash/form and seal it. I went ahead and bought this Ebay seal for 25 buck total shipping+tax to see if it will seal it up. The guy has 3 pairs, 2 now. Thanks for the quick reply!

IMG_2355.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back