• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 Axle to Fuel Tank Clearance

origcharger

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures/measurements of the clearance between a Dana axle and the fuel tank on a 66-67 B body Mopar? Also wondering if there were different axle covers used over the years, maybe one that doesn't/didn't stick out as far to allow more clearance?

I believe the correct clearance , is about zero.

I was shocked how full it is under the car with a Dana 60. There is one cover only.

1966plymouthsathp2cleanup 042.jpg

This is what I have on my 67 Charger, Aeromotive Stealth fuel tank, Strange 60 axle.......
noname (6).jpg

Wow. Thats close.
Mine has a dana in it and doesnt rub that i know of.

Maybe i need to take a better look under there

Wow, two fingers! Here is a picture of my 66 Charger with an 8 3/4" axle, only room for one of my fingers.
The one common thing between my Chargers is they both have Aeromotive fuel tanks with submerged fuel pumps, wondering if the protrusion on top of the tanks for the pumps doesn't allow the tank to nestle in as close to the spare tire well?

KIMG1311.JPG

Plymouth vs Dodge... and that extra inch of wheel base.. or at least I assume '66 is the same as 68/69/70's

Ahhh, the wheelbase difference, I hadn't considered that.
Anyone got pictures showing clearance on a 66-67 Coronet or Charger?

On my '66 Coronet it is very close also, I bent the flange up out of the way just for insurance.

Gee! Crawled under and got these poor quality pictures. 67 Charger. I have about 3/4 inch clearance.
The original factory springs were so badly sagged, missing Dana snubber, the body would come down and put a slight dent in the brake line.
I cannot see how the one inch wheelbase would have any bearing on the gas tank positioning. Where does the 1 inch come into play? I don’t know.

It doesn't move the gas tank Ian... it moves the axle an inch more forward of the tank on a Plymouth. As I noted my two fingers are 1.75" less that inch further back axle in your Dodge = 3/4" !

Auto Transport Service
Back