• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DANA 60 QUESTION

XMAN JR

Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
I got a dana to put in my dads 62 polara. Its out of a old van. I have it at the machine shop to be narrowed. I am not familer with danas. I know the one side tube is wider than the other. Does anyone know how much wider the one side is to the other ? On my dads 67 gtx with a dana the one side is 1 1/2 inches wider. Does that seem right ?

Trucks generally had more offset than cars did....and if the machine shop can't help you with what it should have, then you have it at the wrong shop. Anyways, a Dana 60 can have a bit more offset than an 8 3/4 which has equal length axles but so long as the drive shaft isn't too close to the trans tunnel, it's not a bit deal. However, pinion angle is.

Trucks generally had more offset than cars did....and if the machine shop can't help you with what it should have, then you have it at the wrong shop. Anyways, a Dana 60 can have a bit more offset than an 8 3/4 which has equal length axles but so long as the drive shaft isn't too close to the trans tunnel, it's not a bit deal. However, pinion angle is.
Yea the dana in my dads 67 gtx is off set. The one side is 1.5 inches longer. I just want to confirm the lengths.

Yea the dana in my dads 67 gtx is off set. The one side is 1.5 inches longer. I just want to confirm the lengths.
Yup, I read that in the 1st post...but side to side offset is not that important....IF you have the room to allow it. I just like equal length axles myself. I've done quite a few Dana builds and so far, no problem.

Is there a rear end in the car now? If so, measure from the center of the yoke to each flange and cut the Dana accordingly....

1.5" offset will put the drive shaft in the correct location in the tunnel.
Doug

Is there a rear end in the car now? If so, measure from the center of the yoke to each flange and cut the Dana accordingly....
The rear in it now is a 8 3/4 out of a 67 gtx. In which is wider

The 67 8 3/4 is wider than the Dana or the original rear in the Polara?

Yea what I found out is no matter what it is 8 3/4 or dana the 66 to 70 rears are wider than the 62 to 63 rears

Does this help?

Screenshot_20171220-125210.png

Auto Transport Service
Back