• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 service. Can you remove cover with weight on wheels?

4mulas

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Gonna change the oil in the Dana 60 diff and am wondering if the cover can come off without hitting the gas tank with the weight on the wheels?

Or do I have to Jack up the car and support it from the frame to let the diff hang?

Thanks

213BF957-FA60-4A51-AE1D-E4DC1B0BE605.jpeg

Looks pretty close.... I’d probably let the Diff hang and save any headache that “might” not go past

Yes it’s tight and I’m not sure it will come off.

You can just lift the body some and leave the tires on the ground. You still need jack stands for this.

Best done after a drive with the oil warm or hot. Drains out better and all the “stuff” is mixed up in the oil.

Gonna change the oil in the Dana 60 diff and am wondering if the cover can come off without hitting the gas tank with the weight on the wheels?

Or do I have to Jack up the car and support it from the frame to let the diff hang?

Thanks

View attachment 1125142

You might be able to remove the cover with the weight on the axle. Push the cover all the way to the rear (gas tank) and then try a turning motion (when looking from the axle tube) and slide it under the diff. Straight down probably won't work.

Job done. For what it’s worth I think I could have, but didn’t, it would have been a pita to clean the old gasket material off and wouldn’t have drained as well. My recommendation for the the future is to let it hang

Auto Transport Service
Back