• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 Sure Grip slipping

m79ded

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi I have a Dana from a 71 b Body and unfortunately the sure grip slips at the track causing 1 wheel to spin. I wanted to replace clutches in the sure grip unit or replace the sure grip unit. I would ask for guidance on which clutch pack to buy to refresh the sure grip, I believe it's the original unit that came from the factory. Thanks

Pull the cover and verify what you have. Then call Dr. Diff as recommended above. That's tuff that it slips after 50 years, but it happens.

Don't know if draining the fluid and adding new with new friction additive would help or not. Friction additive does break down after a long period of time. Probably too late now. A inspection would be in order anyway if you're removing the cover.

Don't know if draining the fluid and adding new with new friction additive would help or not. Friction additive does break down after a long period of time. Probably too late now. A inspection would be in order anyway if you're removing the cover.
Thanks very much, I will definitely pull the cover and check things out, Fluid was replaced a few years back when I went from 4.10 to 3.54

You might try turning a few figure 8's to see
if you can free the clutches up. Worked for
my jeep axles. It forces engagement side
to side.

The friction modifier actually lets it slip a bit for normal driving.
I had to add more to mine because when it warmed up it would creak and groan.
Sounded awful and you could feel it as well.

Ford sells parts to repair Dana 60 Mopar does not

Anyone know what type of Suregrip came originally in 71

M79ded, you are talking about a Dana 60, aren't you? Not the Dana suregrip in a 8 3/4?
I'm pretty sure all the Dana 60s were clutch type (from Dana, duh) not the borg warner cone type in later 8 3/4.

M79ded, you are talking about a Dana 60, aren't you? Not the Dana suregrip in a 8 3/4?
I'm pretty sure all the Dana 60s were clutch type (from Dana, duh) not the borg warner cone type in later 8 3/4.
Good catch. The Dana 60 is a clutch type.

Last edited:
I have had lots of Dana's. 70-71 is tracloc, not rebuildable. 66-69 is clutch type, easily rebuildable.

Yes It's a Dana 60 from a 71 GTX that was scrapped years ago, and it's been on my 79 Magnum for the past 35 years, been good but like everything else years of faithful racing and street use has caught up to it

Good subject M79ded.

I have a 71 Gtx with the D60 axle too.

Herein lies the problem, it too is a track-lock and has been OK in my street car.
But I will going to the track with approx 500hp and I’ve been told it “ain’t up to it, not over 400hp”...(by Dr.Diff doh)...

So as far as I am aware the track-loc is not rebuildable???
That means a new power—lock will be needed from Dr Diff lol...:drama:

Last edited:
Many thanx bm02tj,

I can see a track lock repair kit on Ebay for $550 which is dearer than a new 'Power lock' complete!

Bit of a no brainer to 'swap it out' lol.

HNY form the UK

If all you need is clutches buy from Ford
I seem to remember preload braking torque was 75 lbs

Auto Transport Service
Back