• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60, too much end play?

Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
Hey there-

I have a Dana 60 with 4.10 gear and 38 spline axles. I did not install this axle it was already installed when the car was purchased. I noticed that there is a good 1/2” of play in and out when I pull on the axle. I though the brake assembly was the only thing holding it in so I removed the brake assembly and it still has the play but won’t come out. I am not super experience working on axles but I assume there is a c clip holding it in?

There is no play at all on the other side. Any thoughts or tips before I start cracking it all open?

DB0ADBD5-1233-47C5-B434-E9A2C0D2822D.png

60F37A32-1C3B-4310-93E0-E3092CC3AD46.png

9A25B246-CC94-417A-99F7-533F851E2BE0.jpeg

6B9CD880-F81A-49E2-82CD-E963BD3AD2A8.jpeg

Dana 60 does not have a c-clip. Post a picture of the cover.

Weird caliper mounting. Dust shield laying on the floor? Housing has a rib where the should be a flat for a pinion snubber. Possible Ford 8.8?

The caliper bracket must be the bearing retainer, so remove the nuts and pull the axle. See what kind of bearings it has.

Shot of cover, excuse the grime back here it’s got some years on it since it was restored…and it has that undercoating junk everywhere

72D5B0C3-4B8D-41C4-914D-7D4D24AB1913.jpeg

Regardless of what rear end you have, 1/2" endplay is not good.

Disc brakes need 0 end play. I have one car with rear disc brakes and I had to install "green bearing " to get rid of weird scrubbing sounds from the rear.

Does it have a machined surface for pinion snubber. There should be a 60 or a 70 cast in to tell which size ring gear is.

Narrowed truck rearend with unknown ends. It will need "green" bearings if mopar ends, Ford bearings with Ford ends. No c-clip. Discs need to have NO endplay.
Also I doubt they are 38 spline axles. Common are 23, 30, 35, and 40. Truck axles are usually 30, I'm betting that's what you have.

Last edited:
I agree it probably has late big Ford ends and Lincoln brakes. Possible your bearing moved on the shaft from a split collar. If it were mine I would pull the current brakes and install another setup on it. Plenty of aftermarket deals for The big Ford bearings.

Gus

My bet is the split coller holding the axle bearing on the shaft is loose or missing. The axle bearing has slid part way off the shaft.
Doug

Thanks for the brainstorming....I'm going to take it in to an axle shop near me and see what they say. Hopefully something relatively simple to fix....

Hey there-

I have a Dana 60 with 4.10 gear and 38 spline axles. I did not install this axle it was already installed when the car was purchased. I noticed that there is a good 1/2” of play in and out when I pull on the axle. I though the brake assembly was the only thing holding it in so I removed the brake assembly and it still has the play but won’t come out. I am not super experience working on axles but I assume there is a c clip holding it in?

There is no play at all on the other side. Any thoughts or tips before I start cracking it all open?

View attachment 1436094

View attachment 1436101

View attachment 1436103

View attachment 1436104
Those brakes are from a 9" Ford disc brake '75-'80 Lincoln Versailles/Granada Ghia/Monarch ESS if it's a 4.5" wheel bolt pattern or full size Lincoln if 5" pattern. The housing end uses the common 3.15" sealed bearing and all axles on these rears were 28-spline so these must have been shortened and resplined to 30 spline (given the axle diameter, that is the most likely spline to match a common Dana spline) since the axles look like stock Ford parts. The parking brake is built into the caliper and the rotors are directional. Parts are hard to find these days for this once popular setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back