• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 u joint U-bolt too short

69 hemibee

Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
Installed my drive shaft but for the u joint u bolts are not long enough as I barely get a nut on them. Ordered a new set from year one and they are not any longer than the stock one. Are there different sets/lengths?

This is for a 69 bee, dana 60, 4 spd car. The u joints that I have in there are the spicer 5-1309X which are the large 7290s.

20210821_094004.jpg 20210821_094020.jpg

Take one to a parts store they should be able to match something up. I also noticed in your photo the cap is not fully seated in the yoke.

Not long enough because that U joint cap is not seated in the yoke. Are your caps a bigger diameter than the yoke "cup".

Your right it wasn't seated in the picture. I fixed that and even after seating it, not even close to getting thread protrusion. Not to mention putting a washer on there.

I mic'd the caps and cup and it was a few 0.010. What's the option for putting a smaller u joint in there?

Okay, I just assumed both pictures were taken at the same time. Cap not seated by a good 1/8" and it looked like less distance required for full thread in nut.

Okay, I just assumed both pictures were taken at the same time. Cap not seated by a good 1/8" and it looked like less distance was required for full thread in the nut.

I should have specified pictures...even seated though I can't get thread protrusion and that's w/o a washer.

That's a 1330 yoke, note the tabs. Since you have a 7290 driveshaft just buy a 1330 u-joint and change the cups that go into yoke. That yoke came on 66/67 cars with a Dana 60. Cup on 7290 is 1.125" a 1330 cup is 1.0625".

That's a 1330 yoke, note the tabs. Since you have a 7290 driveshaft just buy a 1330 u-joint and change the cups that go into yoke. That yoke came on 66/67 cars with a Dana 60. Cup on 7290 is 1.125" a 1330 cup is 1.0625".
I think his cups fit the yoke so that should not be the problem.

If you have the mopar 7290 drive shaft yoke you need a crossover joint to fit the spicer yoke.

See picture in post #10. There is only .006 difference in size of cups. All he has to do is remove the 2 cups on his driveshaft and replce them with 1330 cups. the cross piece is the same for 1330,7290 and 1350 u-joints.

I believe this is the joint you need. DANA SPICER 5-7437X Measure your cap diameter at the yoke.

See picture in post #10. There is only .006 difference in size of cups. All he has to do is remove the 2 cups on his driveshaft and replce them with 1330 cups. the cross piece is the same for 1330,7290 and 1350 u-joints.
You might be right as long as the cross is the same. My point is that he must have the wrong joint for his application. On your pictures they were for a strap style not u-bolt style. May not make a difference.

Only reason I stated this is because the poster claims the cup was corrected and does fit. You should disagree on what he posted. Don't shoot the messenger.

You might be right as long as the cross is the same. My point is that he must have the wrong joint for his application. On your pictures they were for a strap style not u-bolt style. May not make a difference.
I had to do this 30 years ago. Bought a 7290 driveshaft and found out I had a 1330 yoke,OOPS. Don't if they had combo u-joints then? Took the parts guys u-joint home. It had all the dimensions and made my own 7290/1330 u-joint. Didn'tmean to offend you.

Earlier post the OP claims to have had the cup seated... but I can't see it based on the picture he posted.

I should have specified pictures...even seated though I can't get thread protrusion and that's w/o a washer.
How did you get it to seat? You need to measure the diameter of that cap. Also if it has a groove in it for the lock ring it most likely is the wrong cap.

How did you get it to seat? You need to measure the diameter of that cap. Also if it has a groove in it for the lock ring it most likely is the wrong cap.
Bunch of great feedback in here. I need to make sure it was seated fully as it may not have been seated as much as I thought based on the comments in here. It does have the lock ring as you noted.

I'll measure the cup and cap and make sure they fit as it seems that's my problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back