• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 vs Dana 70 difference

nodust

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
What is the difference between a Dana 60 and 70 truck differential? I’ve been told the Dana 70 has some issues

Dana 70 has no issues. It is one step heavier, duty wise, VS a 60.

The 70 diff is the same size as the 60...only the ring gear flange is larger in diameter. If it's a sure grip, all the guts from the 60 SG will go into it so long as the 70 SG is the same style diff. If it's a Trac Lok, all bets are off. I hate them bastards....everything in the diff is different and the clutches are outboard of the side gears and it's a one piece diff. Not even sure if the 70 came as a Trac Lok like the later 60's did. If you have a 70, pull the cover off and take a look.

The 70 diff is the same size as the 60...only the ring gear flange is larger in diameter. If it's a sure grip, all the guts from the 60 SG will go into it so long as the 70 SG is the same style diff. If it's a Trac Lok, all bets are off. I hate them bastards....everything in the diff is different and the clutches are outboard of the side gears and it's a one piece diff. Not even sure if the 70 came as a Trac Lok like the later 60's did. If you have a 70, pull the cover off and take a look.
Thanks Cranky. I have a 76 Ford Camper Special to be scrapped. Just wondering if the diff is useful for somone?

Thanks Cranky. I have a 76 Ford Camper Special to be scrapped. Just wondering if the diff is useful for somone?
I doubt someone would do a 70 for a car application. The 70 housing and tubes are generally going to larger and weigh more than a 60.

Maybe pulling trucks?
Possibly. Lots of Ford guys and trucks out there so there could be an interest. Try to advertise it local and see if you get a bite. Face book market place or craigs list.

Thanks Cranky. I have a 76 Ford Camper Special to be scrapped. Just wondering if the diff is useful for somone.
Is it a limited slip? My 97 diesel Dodge pickup came with an open diff 70 and I bought a D70 limited slip unit to install in my 97 since the gears were starting to go bad.....figured I'd swap it all out and finally did that a few years ago. If it's got the regular looking SureGrip, then I'd had to say at least the guts might be good for someone because they have the exact same clutches and spider gears as the 60 does. Even if the clutches are worn, the rest of the internals can be very useful for someone that needs them and buying new ones ain't cheap. If it were mine, I'd pull out the axle (full floating?) and then roll that diff on out of it then shove the axles back in and just 2 bolt them. Even without the axles, it'll still roll around that is if the rear end is a full floater and I'm betting it is. Don't think they made a D70 with semi floating axles.....

Maybe pulling trucks?
You talking about pullers? Like the ones that compete? I would think they would be more interested in a D80 before they would mess with the D70. The 80 is bigger all over including the size of the diff.

Does a 60 and 70 use the same cover?

what is the rear axle in a 03 Cummins with 14 bolts on the cover, inside it is beefy. Makes a 60 look like a toy, if that’s possible.

I thought the 76 F250 had the DANA 60 rear end. I have one. Please clarify the difference. How can one tell if it is a 70? When did they start putting in 70s?

I thought the 76 F250 had the DANA 60 rear end. I have one. Please clarify the difference. How can one tell if it is a 70? When did they start putting in 70s?
Should be stamped 60 or 70 on the center casting web.

I have a dually dana 70 I started to cut down for car usage.
Could not find any dana 60s around.
Same axle shafts as the 60 at 35 spline.
Tubes are thicker and heavier.
Case is very similar with a few differences.
I figured if a dana 60 was bulletproof the 70 must be nuclear blast proof!

I eventually found a dually dana 60 I chopped down and I just bolted it into the car.

Even without the axles, it'll still roll around that is if the rear end is a full floater and I'm betting it is. Don't think they made a D70 with semi floating axles.....

Dodge did make a semi floater 70 or maybe it was a 80, around 1998 or so...quite a rare piece.

Dodge did make a semi floater 70 or maybe it was a 80, around 1998 or so...quite a rare piece.
The D80 is getting big for a semi floater. I know Ford did 60's in heavy duty 1/2 trucks in the 60's because I got a hold of one from the original owner.
9 1/4 3/4 ton 8 lug.
Must have been a light duty 3/4 ton with a 9 1/4. Kinda lost touch with the new trucks going into the late 80's but I've seen plenty of Dodges with semi floater 60's during the 90's and they probably had them into the 2000's too? I picked up 25 bare D60 housings that were '501's that Ford was testing that were semi floater design. They also had the 2 3/4 axle tubes but were still 1/4" wall thickness. IIRC, I got those in the very late 80's. They were supposed to be scraped but someone saw some $$$ signs and took them to a swap meet and I bought them all for 20 bucks a pop. Only have one left that I've been saving for myself.

Below the cover, on the housing it will have cast into it 60, 61, or 70.
DVW has a F250 8 lug Dana 60 under his son's 62. Cut the tubes down, welded on new ends, new axles gears and spool.

Last edited:
Below the cover, on the housing it will have cast into it 60, 61, or 70.
DFW has a F250 8 lug Dana 60 under his son's 62. Cut the tubes down, welded on new ends, new axles gears and spool.
Done that several times over the years but the wrecking yards got privy on that and raised the prices for a 3/4 ton rears way back before prices started going up on everything.

Auto Transport Service
Back