• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DANA 60

SSing

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
I have a B-Body housing less Main Caps.
Would caps from another Dana 60 fit? With or without machine job...
Thank you.
ATTACH=full]1170178[/ATTACH]

dana spool FB.jpg

You might be able to use other caps. You would have to torque them down and look at the parting lines along with measuring the inside diameter.

That would be like swapping main caps on an engine without doing a line bore/hone.
Not a good idea...

That would be like swapping main caps on an engine without doing a line bore/hone.
Not a good idea...

But with a machine job, like I suggested, it would be possible?

I think you'd have to remove the tubes to align bore the caps.

I'm not sure, but I think the bearings align the bores of the caps. New caps need to
be installed and mic'd up. That will tell the story. It might not be easy, but well worth
the work to save it.

But with a machine job, like I suggested, it would be possible?

Yes, it's no more difficult than doing a line bore on heavy equipment. Not every machine shop will be able to do it. So if you did cut it apart, you would still need to use a jig/tooling to locate the axle tube bearing concentric to the carrier.

Any competent driveline shop, think trucks, will have the proper equipment and knowledge to do this. It is after all a truck differential that is being used on a car.

With the Mark Williams caps, you install them, Measure the bore, and have the extra stock taken off of the
joint line of the cap to obtain your correct diameter! Easy-Peasy!

With the Mark Williams caps, you install them, Measure the bore, and have the extra stock taken off of the
joint line of the cap to obtain your correct diameter! Easy-Peasy!

Yes, leaning towards this... Thanks.

The problem with OEM caps is actually finding a pair that isn't bolted to a complete housing,
and then if you actually find any, when you Mic them up, will they be O.K. diameter-wise?

No different than trying a pair of used OEM caps.
From what I understand, it is easier to machine a set of billet aftermarket, than a set of cast OEM...

Auto Transport Service
Back