• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 80 question....ring gear fit diameter

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
Been researching a Trac Lok carrier/differential based on the deck height and the only rear end that DH points to is an 80. I know these things have a 11.25 diameter ring gear so I just assumed the fit was also bigger. Can anyone tell me what the flange fit is? I beez axin because a Dana 60 ring fit and bolt holes line up. The 80 also has 35 splines and the deck height is 2.135. A 60's deck height is 2.225. I have a Dana 70 diff and the ring gear from a 60 don't even come close to fitting it so I'm kinda cornfused.

The ring gear register is 6.380" on my D60 spool. I know the off roaders put D70 parts in D60 housings.

Lol! Looks like you finding the same answers I did...
Cass said that it sounds like it's a series 3 diff but he didn't know what the DH is for them. I sent an email to Strange asking them but that was only an hour ago.

The ring gear register is 6.380" on my D60 spool. I know the off roaders put D70 parts in D60 housings.
Yeah, lots of the 60 and 70 parts are the same. Even the clutches are the same size in the Powr Lok. The housing case is a bit larger for the larger OD of the ring gear but the D60 cover still fits it. I had to modify my spreader for clearance on the ring gear when I did the gear swap on my diesel. And iirc, the front pinion bearing is bigger....

Auto Transport Service
Back