• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana drive shaht

71dodgechargerrt

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
I purchased an original Dana rear end for my 71 Charger R/T 4 speed, I am currently running an 8 3/4. Can anyone tell me the length of drive shaft I will need when I put in the new one? Did the Dana have a heavier shaft than the other?? I would like to have everything before I start. If you know can you share the information, thanks

you should accurately measure it either way, try this site Mancini Racing for examples & how you should measure them correctly, http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mist10dombak.html

- - - Updated - - -

what type of universals used, 1350 or 2790 may be different too

- - - Updated - - -

don't quote me & make sure, but it's something like 1-1/2" shorter driveshaft than the 8.750" rear has, but that's going by memory, which isn't too good anymore.... I'm sure somebody has the stock dimensions, do a Google search maybe

Budnick is right! dana shaft is shorter and has the big u-joints! get the big joints on the new shaft and you'll be good to go.

X3 on all above. Install the Dana and get a measurement on the length. you can get the yoke measurements beforehand. It's best to wait and order the shaft to length. not a big deal as a local shop should be able to deliver in a couple days. as for the diameter and the "duty", talk to the folks at the shop. let them know what kind of HP/TQ you have and they will cover you. they want to make sure you're safe as much as you do.

good luck...

Auto Transport Service
Back