• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana Rear End for '63 Dodge 330 & '65 Coronet

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
I am moving to the next phase on my '63 Dodge 330 build, and plan on a Dana for the rear end. I was wondering what some of you may have used to replace the stock 8-3/4 ? Will any, or most of the later year B-Body Dana units fit directly, or will they need to be shortened, or modified ? My stock unit has been sold, so I can't do a direct comparison with what I can find used, and my notes & specs on it have been "misplaced". While I am asking, what Dana units would fit a '65 Coronet for similar needs ? Thanks for any help or knowledge you can offer...
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

I used the dimensions for a 68-70 B-body when I had my Dana 60 done. We used a truck axle and cut the full floating ends off. I used a spool and axles from Dr. Diff.

This way centers the factory offset 15x8 wheels and 275/60s perfectly in the wheel wells.

I used the dimensions for a 68-70 B-body when I had my Dana 60 done. We used a truck axle and cut the full floating ends off. I used a spool and axles from Dr. Diff.

This way centers the factory offset 15x8 wheels and 275/60s perfectly in the wheel wells.

What shockplates did you use? I guess the dana axle hade 4" axle tubes. I´m doing the same conversion to a `69 D200 Dana 60 and will fit it to a 64 Sport Fury.

68-70 B Body Dana's are more expensive than an new aftermarket Dana. I cut and narrow my own out of trucks. Think about your tire/wheel combo first. You may want narrower than stock. Dana tubes can be 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/8". 3" is common. The 8 3/4 shock plates will fit the 3" and 3 1/8" with slight mods to the holes. The nose is longer and the stock driveshaft may be to long. 8 3/4 ends can be welded on if you desire to use the stock rear backing plates and brake parts.
Doug

I went with a Strange S60 through Dr. Diff. Like dvw says, the S60 was cheaper than a real b-body dana. Leave the real dana for the resto guys.
The S60 was custom cut for my application.

rear1.JPG

I went with a Strange S60 through Dr. Diff. Like dvw says, the S60 was cheaper than a real b-body dana. Leave the real dana for the resto guys.
The S60 was custom cut for my application.

View attachment 408054

Looks awesome! What wheel size do you run? Minitub, relocated leafsprings? Would love to be able to run 15"x10 with 3" Backspace.. but don´t know if it´s possible with stock wheel wells and relocated leafsprings...

10" wheel with 315/60 tire, mini tubs, springs moved in to frame rails. Don't recall backspace.

My sons 62 runs 10" wheels with 275/60 M/T drag radial. Stock wheel wells with spring hangers moved flush to the outer frame rails.
Doug

Seems these Days the S-60 is the way to go. When I did the rearend in my 65 Belvedere II almost 10 years ago I used a truck rear. You can make any backspace wheel work correctly with some simple math.
These rear wheels are 17x11 an have 7 1/2" backspace. I wanted the option of running larger Fatter wheels and tires with ability to also run stock offset wheels without the rear being too short and looking funny. Tires are 31.50x16x17 Hoosier Street Radials

1492.jpg 1502.JPG 9 from rear.jpg 1491.JPG

For you who runs leafsprings with a shortened dana 60 truck axle.. Where can i find U-bolts since the dana has a larger axle tube diameter than the stock 8 3/4" axle?

For you who runs leafsprings with a shortened dana 60 truck axle.. Where can i find U-bolts since the dana has a larger axle tube diameter than the stock 8 3/4" axle?
Your going to need shock mounting plates also.

I used the 8 3/4 u-bolts and shock plates. Takes a little effort to get them on but worked perfectly.

Some of big, open jaw vice grips for clamping panels will pull the u-bolts together the small amount needed to go in the shockplate.

I used the 8 3/4 u-bolts and shock plates. Takes a little effort to get them on but worked perfectly.

Some of big, open jaw vice grips for clamping panels will pull the u-bolts together the small amount needed to go in the shockplate.
If it's that close why not grind a couple of small grooves in the axle tube?

Could but it was really, really close anyway. Just took a little extra effort...
I tried yesterday just to put the U-bolts over the dana axle tubes, and they almost went all the way down, so with a small rubber hammer it will fit perfect, and then just grind the holes in the shockplates to make them fit. Thanx guys!

Auto Transport Service
Back