• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana with 10" drums

Baller

Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, the '68/69 dana 60 that came in my 1970 GTX has what appear to be the 2.5" drums (no cooling fins, spring around the drum). I've pulled the rear to take it in to get rebuilt, but i'm wondering if I should attempt to covert back to 3" drums which came originally on my car. Anyone know a source for 3" backing plates? and any advice if I should even bother. The car is #'s matching, FC7, N96, A32 car that I was going to totally restore. I've changed my mind and just want to rebuild the major components and get the car on the road while I'm still relatively young.

10" drums usually came on front disc brake cars. If you have front disc why go to 11"x3" rear drums, front brakes do most of the work. If you race go to rear discs. MO.

I had though that 3" drums came on axle package cars such as mine. I do have discs up front. The more that I think about it, the more I think I'll leave it as is. Spend money somewhere else.

Hey everyone, the '68/69 dana 60 that came in my 1970 GTX has what appear to be the 2.5" drums (no cooling fins, spring around the drum). I've pulled the rear to take it in to get rebuilt, but i'm wondering if I should attempt to covert back to 3" drums which came originally on my car. Anyone know a source for 3" backing plates? and any advice if I should even bother. The car is #'s matching, FC7, N96, A32 car that I was going to totally restore. I've changed my mind and just want to rebuild the major components and get the car on the road while I'm still relatively young.
Disc brake cars in 70 came with 10X2 1/2 drums on the rear, Dana or 8 3/4. No fins and yes the springs around the drums. Special Order may have been different, I don't know. If heavy duty brakes were ordered you got 11X3 front and 11X2 1/2 rear.

Disc brake cars in 70 came with 10X2 1/2 drums on the rear, Dana or 8 3/4. No fins and yes the springs around the drums. Special Order may have been different, I don't know. If heavy duty brakes were ordered you got 11X3 front and 11X2 1/2 rear.

Hmm, interesting then I have the correct set up. Thank you. Makes me wonder if the Dana is original to the car. Numbers on the axle tube indicate 68/69 application (602957 2), and the date code is so poorly stamped I can't figure it out. It's a shame that the original owner had a stroke and remembered little about the car. He did tell me that he put the Dana in it, but it is a Dana car originally. Who knows.

4spd or auto? 4 spd came with dana auto came with 8 3/4 unless it was special ordered.

4spd or auto? 4 spd came with dana auto came with 8 3/4 unless it was special ordered.

A32 is the "Super Performance Axle Package" which gives the 4:10 Dana as well as some other stuff. Available only with an automatic; 4-speed with the 4:10 Dana was A34 on the tag. So yes, this car was special ordered with the Dana option.

Auto Transport Service
Back