• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dangerous question.....lol

69 Runner

ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Well maybe not a question....... Seems cars are indeed selling (just look in the "for Sale section) and some are bringing some pretty good money. However, my Duster (which I think is a pretty cool ride) isn't selling.

So I'm looking for opinions as to what needs to be done so it will sell next time I decide to poush it (like in the spring)

Obviously the engine compartment needs to be body color, so don't mention that

I'm considering ditching the black bumpers in favor of chrome

I'm also considering a "shark tooth" grill. Problem with that is it's about a $1000 upgrade.

and yeah, it needs the seat hinge covers and one chrome knob

Don't be stupid or ugly with your opinions. If you say it's a piece of **** to begin with and it's not worth 1/2 what you're asking with that much cash in the trunk....you will pay:icon_axe:

Gawd help me

69 Runner,
I am surprised also. Any more pics of engine, interior etc... I had a friend that had one, 340 and that car hauled every time it was stomped on. it was red with black interior with the 340 stripe in black down the side and the bumpers were chrome.

Wait! You said the trunk is half full of cash?
Let me get some more coffee, I'll get back to ya'

I'ld say loose some of the black out treatment. Bumpers, grille (not sharktooth), mirrors and wipers. Bling sells. If you can, loose the bumpstrip on the side, it's kinda cutting the lines of the car. Remember, you're looking to sell, not throw a bunch of money at it.

What was the original engine? Any body work done? Does it have A/C?

I've seen nice true 340 dusters (usually 73s) in what I would call #3-#2 condition go for $3500 on the low side and $13000 on the high side, just in the last six months.

There was a 73 Gold Duster at Don Garlits last year with the original white paint, nice gold interior 318 and fold down seat. Asking 2800, didn't sell.

This year there was a /6 76 Twister in baby blue with the 69 'Cuda style simulated scoops. I think they wanted 3800 for that.

There was a 72 318 manual trans car in the next county that needed lower quarter patches that went for 1500 after being listed for six months at 3000.

There's a /6 car in another adjacent county with nice lime paint that is being offered for 8000. I doubt that will sell.

What were you looking to get?

I doubt the grill would be a good investment, but that's just me. As much as I like the toooth, the std grill has an appeal as well.

If anyone has a V8 Duster with manual trans, fold down seat a/c and a sunroof, that doesn't need quarters and is located in the SE, for under 5000 let me know. Poor paint OK.

Other than chrome bumpers and a stock grill I cant see changing anything,paint the trunk and engine compartment and call it a day.

Painting under the hood aint easy, but I do agree that's an immediate "minus" when I see a Mopar I'm interested in.

Sorry for the long post before...

I,d take into consideration my time and the cost and what I am looking to get and weigh if its worth the work or if I should discount price. If you take a little hit it may free up capital to invest in something your time would be more profitable to be spent on. MHO is that threads about you fixing things you found on the car may be hurting you. Since its not a complete resto new buyers might be afraid of whats next to break or need repair. Please dont take this the wrong way.I would also say loose the blackout and if youre repainting the bay and trunk loose the vinyl roof and repaint roof. Hardtops look a lot more like a muscle car to me.

Way to much work to paint the trunk, cause someone shot it with some kind of black crap. I thought I might go kinda resto-mod and do it up nice with Ozite. Maybe the grill just needs the bright surround stripped of the black, as well as the turn signal bezels.

Stripping the top and black molding could wind up costing a bunch if it messed up the paint.

Way to much work to paint the trunk, cause someone shot it with some kind of black crap. I thought I might go kinda resto-mod and do it up nice with Ozite. Maybe the grill just needs the bright surround stripped of the black, as well as the turn signal bezels.

Stripping the top and black molding could wind up costing a bunch if it messed up the paint.

The top for sure. The side moulding might not be so bad. You're right on the bright moulding on the grille.
Do you have different bumpers for it? Rechroming those could get pricey.

No extra bumpers. I think I'd rather have 70 bumpers anyway. No jack "slots" in them

Forgot. It started life as a /6 column auto car, and was some awful tanny-gold color with matching interior. No A/C

I may be interested in the black bumpers if you go that way and price is right. I an building a bracket racer and the body doesnt have bumpers. Just a thought.

No extra bumpers. I think I'd rather have 70 bumpers anyway. No jack "slots" in them

Painted the ones on my Val silver. Too cheap for chrome, so I kinda gave it the fiberglass look. Sorta.

Attachments

• valiant 019.jpg
    valiant 019.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 306
I like the vinyl top. I know a lot of people don't but there are a few correct tops that work for me. The 73-74 Charger SE top and these 1/2 or 3/4 or what ever they are.

The slant factor hurts too. It's a gamble to build a six car. No matter how cool, it's still seen as a six. There IS a market for ultra trick, very high dollar, resto-mod/power tour builds that transcend the Mopar purist segment into an area that no one cares what it was to start with, however. I think you need power windows, nitrous, and rack and pinion for that.

I personally like yor car. It looks very clean and straight. Two of the most important things IMO.

I'd say the only thing I would change is the bumpers to chrome or shiny silver paint at least. I like the bodyside moulding, makes it look a little longer.

Runner, If I could afford to buy your car right now, I would. I think it's a cool car,and I know you have put some work into it.

Just my opinion, but I think it's like you said, the black bumpers aren't doing anything for the car, maybe it would look better with the bumper's painted white, that would be cheaper then getting them chromed.

A sharktooth grille would be a lot better, but I know they are spendy, maybe just paint part of it argent and break up the blackout treatment a little.

And for sure I would get rid of that body side moulding, it isn't doing anything for the car.

I just sold this Duster last year for $10k, and it's basically the same car, except my car had a 440 in it, but I think you should be able to get a good price for your car.

I think you got a really cool, dependable Duster there! Like I said before, I would love to own it, but if your not interested in a 10 second full on race Demon, I can't do anything for you! LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_0804_1 copy 2.jpg
    IMG_0804_1 copy 2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 262
I like the car a lot, but I would not give it a second look without painting under the hood !!

I'm not much for black bumpers either but the car looks good. I've bought and sold 30-40 cars in the last 20 years and the bottom line is price except at Barrett Jacksons where it is prestige and the "I bought it there" factor.

No matter what the opinions are of everyone here or out "there", the idea behind selling isn't to put MORE money into the car. You will never get it back. You just lose more.

The single biggest mistake a seller does is to put into the price, their emotional factor. Second is thinking if they put $x into the car they should be able to get $x out. The $x you put into the car may not appeal to ANYONE else so they are unwilling to pay even one cent for that item you loved.

You didn't want to hear it but price IS the bottom line for pretty much everyone. Someone looking for a car set up that way and wants that particular model will usually pay a reasonable price plus a premium. But that makes a very small buying audience you will have to take time to find. To sell, you need the largest audience looking as possible unless you are willing to wait for "THE" buyer who sees the car exactly as you do.

I like the Dusters. But even for me, when I see it I think:

1. Are parts hard to find for a car brand that has been gone for some time?
2. How true are the seller's claims? (Over documentation is great here)
3. How much abuse has the car taken? (a hood scoop screams hot rodding)
4. Do I have cash because I can't get a loan for a car that old and is my job secure enough to put that much into a "toy"?
5. How long could I drive it before it would need major repair?

Bottom line is probably what kind of audience are you looking for? Keep in mind that your buyer would probably have to be either after THAT kind of car or have the funds for a toy. Give me a choice between a 1965 Falcon for $15,000 I have to fund for several years or have all cash up front for and a 2010 Chevy Cobalt I can get for about the same price, and have the warranty and financing for. and the Falcon loses. No matter how much I'd rather have the Falcon than the Cobalt.

Auto Transport Service
Back