• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Frame Finish

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
It looks like the dash from 50 years ago is flat. Was it originally satin or was this frame always flat? I know the top should have minimal shine in order to keep glare down so my guess is flat is what was used. Anyone know how this was finished originally? Thanks MF....

CCFC9C39-7FF2-40E4-B150-C5D163386993.jpeg

Suede paint is what was used. I think Roger Gibson sells the correct paint if you are wanting 100% authentic.

Suede paint is what was used. I think Roger Gibson sells the correct paint if you are wanting 100% authentic.
What type of finish is suede? I have always thought of that as a color as opposed to a type of finish?

Suede is sort of a rough satin to flat finish. I wouldn’t call it completely flat but almost with texture.
8AEB26C8-1866-4DD7-9305-29088FF9DF90.jpeg

Suede is sort of a rough satin to flat finish. I wouldn’t call it completely flat but almost with texture.
View attachment 976316
Got it so it has texture and a slight satin finish! Picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks! What paint and color is that?

That is PPG Shopline JB that was mixed at my PPG distributor. They may or may not mix paint for a very well known Mopar resto shop, I can’t reveal my sources.:)
But, this is to replace the old lacquer stuff that’s being sold at a high cost. They worked to reproduce the old suede agent they added to the lacquer. This color is for a 67 Coronet and I believe it’s called navy blue metallic or insig blue. P6B is the interior code on the car.

If your spraying black I would use the PPG trim black, DX8000 I think, they have in aerosol and on your last coat you would dry spray it or give a light dust coat and that will give it a slight texture.

It does need to be applied with a paint gun and mixed. I am getting a painter to do my dash. Ash tray face, speaker cover, and steering column to firewall. The promoter has a shelf life. Painter said you can always use Some other promoter. When putting the lid on the can, put a layer of food wrap or something like that on before the lid goes on, otherwise you won’t get the lid off.
The kit cost 142.00 Canadian.
I will either use It on some other things or just give the left over to the painter.

Auto Transport Service
Back