• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash lights come on when brake pedal is depressed

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
As stated my buddies 68 super bee has the dash lights come on when he hits the brakes. Im not an electrical guru so any help would be appreciated.

Yup.....is the wiring all messed up? Most electrical problems can be traced to a bad ground. All kinds of crazy stuff went on with my dash after I changed out several burned out bulbs. The problem was that I just laid my gauge face back into the dash and didn't put any screws back in. I just wanted to check it to make sure the new dash lights were working. Well, after scratching my head (and other things), I figured that the only thing different was it wasn't grounded anymore so I put the screws back in and all was well after that.

I'll ask about the grounds. Could it be a turn signal switch? God I hate to mess with electrical!!

dont let electrical stuff intimidate you. if you have a test light and know how to use one.... you can fix it !...but id go with cranky on checkin for poor grounds first.

Did it just start doing this or did he just put it together and it's doing it?

If it just started bad grounds could be it. If he just put it together there are a few harnesses and switches that plug into the main harness and it can be easy to accidentally swap a connection here or there.

When putting my car together i accidentally switched the connection for brake light and front turn signal where the steering column harness meets the main harness- pressing the brakes would light one front signal. An easy fix after looking at the wiring diagram.

Been doing it for awhile, so we'll check grounds, thanks everyone!!

Auto Transport Service
Back