• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash paint

dennisgwagne

Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
i have a 1970 superbee on the dash does anybody know the correct paint it looks flat black i have a new dash but would like to paint the metal part first thanks

PPG suede on some stuff. Most powder-coaters have something that looks the same as most finishes.

It should be a flat finish on top. You can apply a matting clear over the base coat. I used a matte clear on the top portion, and high gloss on the rest.

I've also seen Chrysler Low Gloss Black engine enamel by Dupli-Color used on the dash top and it looks good.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

i have a 1970 superbee on the dash does anybody know the correct paint it looks flat black i have a new dash but would like to paint the metal part first thanks

I used a matting clear on this GTX dash as well. You can sort of see it in this pic.image.jpg

It's called Suede. Some guys were finding it a few years ago - probably from PPG. I used PPG semi- flattened lacquer and sprayed it somewhat dry to provide a faux suede finish.

All I can tell you is that I tried semi gloss non-auto enamel (custom matched at the paint store) for a car and three kinds of rattle can enamels before I figured out that those were not hard enough.
I wound up using PPG auto acrylic enamel with a little hardener and it turned out good.

If you get it powder coated, you can choose a "leatherette" finish in any color you want. It holds up better than paint too if the prep is done properly.

The PPG lacquer dash paint has a suede additive. I know, I sell it.

No reply necessary, I think that I know the answer.
But I'll add some whine.
Why can't PPG make acrylic enamels anymore?
They have a new store close to me.

If you are on a budget, I just did mine with Krylon Colormaxx Acrylic latex and its very flat. $9 at Lowes. HVLP 1.8MM tip, water clean up.

An option.
RGAZ
IMG_1181.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back