• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash - Weld and Blast Media??

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready soon to start work on dash. Need a little welding and blasting. Questions, what type of weld (I know little about welding but want to know enough that whoever I get does not burn it up) and what type media to get this ready for prime and paint. I have limited experience but access to blasting cabinet and stand alone.

Thanks for any advice / direction.
Photo May 24, 3 31 43 PM.jpg
Photo May 24, 3 31 52 PM.jpg

That can be mig welded. Gas shielded preferably and with .023 wire. An ideal job for a 110v mig. NO continuous bead - bzz, bzz, bzz only !! Bring it over - I'll do it for ya.

Seriously, you have access to a blast cabinet that will fit a 5' long dash ?!?!

That can be mig welded. Gas shielded preferably and with .023 wire. An ideal job for a 110v mig. NO continuous bead - bzz, bzz, bzz only !! Bring it over - I'll do it for ya.

Seriously, you have access to a blast cabinet that will fit a 5' long dash ?!?!
No have a blast cabinet and access to a stand alone. Not sure why I even mentioned the cabinet. thanks for the welding advice, if I were near you I'd take you up on that offer...

I'd use crushed glass on that and don't spend too much time in one place. And don't waste too much effort on what doesn't show. Also, the media won't get into the sharp corners so don't even try. You can do more damage than you can image blasting sheet metal.

I would put run off tabs on each side. Get the two broken parts in alignment tack each end with the tabs on.

Place brass to grab the heat underneath. Start on the tab and weld through to the other tab.

Flip it and back grind slightly put then use the brass opposite way.grind flush. It will be clean all the way through. You can even do a down hand by welding straight down it’s thin. Practice first on scrap metal same gauge.

Auto Transport Service
Back