• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dashboard

steve from staten island

Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
The dash is in the car. Im trying to get the switches and panel in. Put the instrument cluster in. Put lower dash pad in, left bottom nuts loose. This switch panel with switches installed just wont fit. Why is this F-ing thing so tight? I damaged the rheostat. The dash pad needs to be re-painted . I had to come inside and take Advil as my head is pounding. Any advise?

It is a bugger. I actually had to remove the headlight switch before I could get mine out! Talk about being a contortionist. But I got it back in. It was wiggle wiggle wiggle. Of course mine is just a beater driver so I didn't have to worry about scratches too much, but I feel your pain. If the pad was soft like it originally was it would be so much easier.

Pain in the ***, for sure. Tomorrow is another day.

Im learning a lot for sure. As i told RC it seems you have to be careful when buying old dash pads. The old one seemed to be a better fit and not as tight as the one i used.

What model are you working on ?? The dash is much easier to assemble OUT of the car. On a '69' b-body Plymouth the switch bezel is easiest to install with all the switches removed. Install those afterwards.

What model are you working on ?? The dash is much easier to assemble OUT of the car. On a '69' b-body Plymouth the switch bezel is easiest to install with all the switches removed. Install those afterwards.
I thought the same thing but i found it next to impossible to get those small screws in as the dash frame was in the way. It may just be me as im a little less flexible to get under the dash. Id like to know how Mopar mechanics replaced switches back in the day

Your right ! I just tried it again and its still tight, with switches out you can manipulate panel way easier. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back