• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date code for the 383

BeepBeepRR

Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
I was under the car today bolting the gas pedal back down and noticed the block casting numbers and date.. This is in a 69 RR The engine date was 12-4-69 Which is very late in the year for a 69 car am I right? Could this be an early 70 383? I just thought it was odd. The casting numbers Ill have to write down.

Definitely a 1970 engine. Look at the actual date code on the other side of the block. It will have the day/month/yr on it. Plus the pad under the passenger side motor mount will have a VIN#

Definitely a 1970 engine. Look at the actual date code on the other side of the block. It will have the day/month/yr on it. Plus the pad under the passenger side motor mount will have a VIN#
Yea these numbers were on the driver side. I will check those other places tomorrow. I know its not a numbers matching car but wasn't sure what was in it until today. Hell its late I'm bored so why not just go do it now..

OK on the lower passenger side of the engine on a flat spot it says.. 0A187805 That number is stamped in the spot just above the oil pan.

The block says. 2468130-11 And I believe its Night shift build As the bump looks to be pointing in the direction of the N

Looks like 1 AM on the clock.

Driver side.. 12-4-69

Same 2468130-11

Last edited:
The 0A is a 1970 VIN, o for 70, A where it was built, with the last six as serial number. Who knows, look under the distributer on the pad and find a stamp HP. If you are lucky. if not, you still have a great car.

The 0A is a 1970 VIN, o for 70, A where it was built, with the last six as serial number. Who knows, look under the distributer on the pad and find a stamp HP. If you are lucky. if not, you still have a great car.
lol Thanks.. I'm installing the interior now.. That's why I was under the car to begin with.. Or I would have never started the engine investigation lol. I do believe it is a HP engine.. However it has had some stuff done to it. The engine looks like *** right now but I plan on one day pulling it and cleaning it up.. Just want to drive it right now.. But if anyone has the car that wants the numbers matching engine let me know.. :) I do have a stock 70 4bbl intake too.

On the stamp pad by the Dizzy.. Says 383 C40 well thats all I could see in the middle of the night.. But will look again tomorrow.

Last edited:
C40'?
I would have to think about that one. it should have an F and a date, for example 12-9(dec 9th)

C40'?
I would have to think about that one. it should have an F and a date, for example 12-9(dec 9th)
That's all I could make out in the dark lol. I'll get a better look at it tomorrow. My neighbor does have a 69 dated 383 But don't know if its a later or earlier engine. I could buy for 600 bucks.. I may buy that and put it in the RR and take this one and clean it up.. That way it can keep rolling along.. Plus you can never have too many engines..

That's all I could make out in the dark lol. I'll get a better look at it tomorrow. My neighbor does have a 69 dated 383 But don't know if its a later or earlier engine. I could buy for 600 bucks.. I may buy that and put it in the RR and take this one and clean it up.. That way it can keep rolling along..
check that engine where I mentioned, and we can see which is better for your car.

check that engine where I mentioned, and we can see which is better for your car.
:) HP is more correct.. If this one isn't a HP However I believe this engine is built. I need to call the guy who built it and see what he did to it. It has a Torquer Intake And a Deep sump Moroso oil pan. Had a double pumper on it But i took it off. It was full throttle when I just cracked it a little.. All 4 barrels dumped at part throttle.. As if setup for drag racing.

it would be nice, but unless the car has the original HP block, the replacement being either to me adds no more or less value.
Right.. Agree Thats why this is a low buck driver.. Not going for numbers matching due to the expense that comes with..

Right.. Agree Thats why this is a low buck driver.. Not going for numbers matching due to the expense that comes with..
People just want to see a Roadrunner on the road. You will be one more. all is good!
My Brother had a brand new Roadrunner back in 69, so I know the car well.

People just want to see a Roadrunner on the road. You will be one more. all is good!
My Brother had a brand new Roadrunner back in 69, so I know the car well.

My brother had some awesome rides back in the early 80s.. He had a 70 SuperBee A 69 Satellite and a 69 Charger.. The charger was a bondo buggy. Weird thing all 3 were orange.. Not his doing.

My high school buddy couldn't afford a Roadrunner, so we settled for a new Duster as orange could be. 318 three stick. we caused a lot of trouble with that car!Those were the days!

We had a family friend back in the late 70's early 80s He had a green Duster.. Back seat folded down and we would pile up in the trunk.. Take it into the drive in movies..And pile out.. :) That was the first time I ever went over 100 mph was in a Duster..

We had a family friend back in the late 70's early 80s He had a green Duster.. Back seat folded down and we would pile up in the trunk.. Take it into the drive in movies..And pile out.. :) That was the first time I ever went over 100 mph was in a Duster..
and you survived? HAHA

Auto Transport Service
Back