• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date code Ignition Coil explanation

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
I am restoring a 67 Hemi Charger and am pondering the importance of buying a date code correct ignition coil. However I am not clear on how to decode the coil stamps offerred by different companies. Can anyone on the Forum tell me the details on decoding the ignition coil stamp? How important s it to have a specific date code correct ignition coil in your car?

Thank you in advance.

As far as I know it should be a 3 digit code denoting week and year. Ex. 158 would be the 15th week of 1968. That date should be at least a few weeks before the SPD of your car.

If your buying why not the right date code. What's the build date of your car? I would say the date should be 3 months before car production date. Don't coil for my 66 but have the fuel pump date code was Oct 65, engine built mid Feb 66 car built 3/8/66.

I am restoring a 67 Hemi Charger and am pondering the importance of buying a date code correct ignition coil. However I am not clear on how to decode the coil stamps offerred by different companies. Can anyone on the Forum tell me the details on decoding the ignition coil stamp? How important s it to have a specific date code correct ignition coil in your car?

Thank you in advance.
The importance of it is really up to you, how important is it to you? How OE correct are you doing the restoration? If you're doing an OE Concours gold restoration, and having it judged, then a correct date coded coil is a must have. If you're doing a general restoration then it's really not all that important, but, as Fran Blacker pointed out, if you're going to buy one anyway why not just buy one with a correct date code?

The "experts", whoever they may be, say that anywhere between 3 weeks and 3 months prior to the scheduled build date of your car is considered correct. A lot of the reproduction companies that stamp these types of parts have 3 or 4 different date codes, 1 of the dates will always fit into the 3 week to 3 month time frame for everyone.

turbine68rt posted the same thing that I've been told regarding how to decipher the date code. Perhaps @Big D A12 will pop into this thread and give a little more insight into what all the numbers on the coil stamps mean, I believe he makes these types of stamps.

That all said, do you really think the line worker ever cared enough to install it so anyone could read the part number or date?? All depends on what YOU expect out of your restoration!

A $15 Chinese Coil that might last a summer with a $85 Stamping

Thank you all for the info on the date code coil explanation. I figured that as long as I have to buy one for my car I would buy one that matched the production # as best as possible.My car was built on November 21 (core support SO# 72B2108146) and my engine was built on September 14th, 19th engine (manifold # CH426 9-14-19). The 426 hemi block #2468330-2 was cast on 6-27-66. My Vin# is XP29J72193488, which is 1 of 58 Hemi Chargers made with a 4 speed, non-console interior with a buddy seat.

Auto Transport Service
Back