• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daytona vs superbird.

Tony Tee

Local time
5:33 AM
Reaction score
Just by looking at both cars I always thought that the superbird was more streamlined. So I googled it and I'm still confused? The daytona has a drag coefficient of .28 and the superbird is .31
And the superbird won more races. So which one is more streamlined?

Good write-up here:
Dodge Charger Daytona & Plymouth Superbird: The Mopar Wing Cars
At a glance, the Superbird looks very similar to the Charger Daytona, but the nose cone and wing are totally different. The special nose was an inch longer and less angular than the Daytona's, and the trunk spoiler sat at a less-steep angle. The Superbird featured a vinyl top to hide the welds of the special flush rear window cap (the Daytona’s was blended into the body, which was costly) and the fender vents of the Superbird were no longer functional as they were on the Daytona. The opening in the nose cone was also widened to help alleviate the overheating problems that Daytona models experienced.

Better team like Mr. Petty's
:)
plymouth-superbird-32.jpg

I just recently read this book. It was very good, and it gave a comprehensive history of Chrysler's involvement with Nascar before and leading up to the creation of the wing cars through the end of them after Bill France essentially outlawed them.

1661042877058.png

I just recently read this book. It was very good, and it gave a comprehensive history of Chrysler's involvement with Nascar before and leading up to the creation of the wing cars through the end of them after Bill France essentially outlawed them.

View attachment 1331307
The Daytona had a lower drag coefficient than the Super Bird as mentioned above. As I recall there was a 3-4mph difference in top end between the two in NASCAR race trim.
I can attest to the special parts working on the Daytona. Back in ‘85 while passing a semi at 130+mph with mine I was expecting the worst as far as wind buffeting and...nothing!
Instead I literally felt the car squat down more and it took off. I had to lift off the pedal (which was not all the way to the floor) as speed had increased and exceeded the speedometers 150 limit. Only time I took it to it’s upper limits.
Even at normal highway speeds I’ve experienced the same aerodynamic effect albeit to a lesser degree.
When they outlawed “special bodies” and then “special engines” it was the beginning of the end of the golden age of nascar imo.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back