• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealer-installed A/C unit wiring question.

jmbass98

Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
'66 Charger has a dealer-installed Northlander A/C head unit under the dash. It's all hooked up except for the red power wire. Previous owner said it had an inline fuse before it was clipped. For easiest install, where should I run this power wire to and what amp fuse should I use? 16ga wire.

I would tap the output wire for the heater at the fuse box.
Mike

Ok. I would still need an inline fuse then, prob 20 amp?
What size fuse is in there now? By tapping the heater fuse output wiring you can use the existing heater fuse. I can't imagine you will run the heater and A/C simultaneously.
Mike

No fuse in there now but the previous owner said there was an inline fuse so I wasn't sure how to tell what amp it required.

No fuse in there now but the previous owner said there was an inline fuse so I wasn't sure how to tell what amp it required.
The ampere requirements of the evaporator fan determines total draw unless the compressor clutch feeds from the same source. I think you will be fine with a 20 amp fuse.
Mike

Last question, you said "I can't imagine you will run the heater and A/C simultaneously". Would doing so with the A/C tapped into the heater fuse cause an issue? Trying to avoid a fire lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back