• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealership License Plate Frames

SDCoronet

Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys, thought I would share pics of my latest shiny object from the chrome shop. I found almost nothing on the net regarding the history of this particular dealership (or other closed southern California shops) with the exception of the images off of the postcard below. If you have any history to share regarding Howard Taylor Dodge, I would love to hear it.

Also, I'm fascinated by these generally and hope you will post pics your original dealer frame(s) on this thread.

IMG_4852.JPG IMG_4854.JPG IMG_E4949.JPG IMG_E4950.JPG HT DODGE1.png HT DODGE2.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately not my thing, I'd have to say. Somehow dealership advertising on the car has always rubbed me the wrong way. Two things I will say though, it is way cooler since you own the postcard, and a nice touch of documentation if you use the car in shows or any kind of display. Also, kudos to the dealer for making a decent frame, instead of drilling holes in your trunk of some such like some of the more unscrupulous advertisers with their lame pot metal. No pic of the car?Lefty71(apparently grumpy today).

Awesome... I am trying to find a frame from the dealer in Pasadena in 1970, Wegge Motors.

Awesome... I am trying to find a frame from the dealer in Pasadena in 1970, Wegge Motors.
Derwud- There's a guy that sells license plates and frames at the Pomona Auto Swap Meet. If you ever go there you might have some luck with the frames you're looking for. I found one for a dealership in Inglewood that I was looking for.

Derwud- There's a guy that sells license plates and frames at the Pomona Auto Swap Meet. If you ever go there you might have some luck with the frames you're looking for. I found one for a dealership in Inglewood that I was looking for.
I wonder if he does the Long Beach show as well?

Looking for Keystone Dodge, Allentown, Pennsylvania. Went out of business in 2009. Plastic OK.
Thanks.

I think it's a good way to preserve the history of your car whether you display one or just keep it with the rest of the documentation.

My '62 was sold at John Drew Motors in Sacramento California. He only sold Dodge for a few years and changed over to Chevrolet. I believe 1962 was the last year he had Dodges. Best I can tell it's just an empty lot now.
20170115_103548.png

Surfing for any name plates or license plate frames, I've only come up with one picture of one. There are Chevrolet ones out there but not any like this one when he had the Dodge.
20170115_181759.jpg

I had a thought about finding someone with a 3D printer that might be able to recreate one.

Keep this frame in mind if any of you California guys are there. There's quite a few on Ebay if you search for your dealership. I haven't had any luck over the years and would love to have one.

This post made me curious, so I went out to see if I had any, and found two that I didn't even know I had! Both are defunct Chevy dealers, but I grew up with shoebox chevies. Clay Chevrolet in Pasadena ca. and Dorweiler in El Monte. The Clay is still on the 55 that my folks bought new.
I don't think I have any mopar frames, but I would love to have something for my runner, I know It was a california car, but I have no clue which dealer.

T
I don't think I have any mopar frames, but I would love to have something for my runner, I know It was a california car, but I have no clue which dealer.

Pasadena had 2 Plymouth Dealers at the same time up till 71 I believe..

A question appropriate to this post, if you guys don't mind. Was it common to have dealer frames on the rear only, or were they on the front plate too?

I originally had them on both front and rear, but the front one had gotten destroyed in a previous fender bender.

Pasadena had 2 Plymouth Dealers at the same time up till 71 I believe..
I found H.E. Baher, chry/ply, Lees c/p, Wegge dodge, Orrin Fox amc, Clay chevrolet, all on Colorado blvd in Pasadena ca, home of the rose parade. Plus Loud ford,(appropriate) and Bruce Crary mercury, who sold Panteras too. I remember most of them, all gone now.

I worked at Rusnak Pasadena. He Purchased the Chrysler Dealer @ 337 W. Colorado Blvd in 70 or 71 and moved them down to the far end of Colorado and put his Porsche - Audi store there.. There was also Milne Plymouth on Colorado as well.

Have this on the 67 cars.
plymouth is out to win you over.jpg

Anyone know where I can get at least two "I Get Mine From Direct Connection" license plate frames on the cheap side? If anyone has one PM me please.

I remember ordering my new '68 Runner and specifically telling the sales guy I didn't want the screw on dealer plate put on the trunk lid. Guess what they did....you got it, the plate was attached.

Now, I'd love to find dealership i.d. from Dependable Dodge in Asheville North Carolina. I have the original bill of sale for my '66 from that dealer.

Charger72. I have a Direct Connection one already, I got from a friend. However I really want 2 more. There is one on Ebay brand new, BUT it's like $35.00. I really want it but not for that much. I went to Carlisle and saw one and asked "how much is it", I think it was $40 or something. Maybe a bit higher. I thought about it a little bit, and just said "thank you" and walked away.

7D08F000-B12B-4CE2-A83A-F46C94537F5B.png
This is the closest one I could find for my 67 coronet, metal frame, good condition. Good paint found repro month sticker with correct red stripe, and year sticker, correct color blue.

Auto Transport Service
Back