• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Debate: To 5.7 Hemi swap or To old school big block in my 67 Coronet HELP!!!!

Uncle Don

Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
ok...having trouble deciding what to do. and actually getting cold feet. I have purchased a 5.7 hemi, already carbed with the indy mod man intake, hemi6 msd spark control etc...pretty easy swap all in all, motor mounts, oil pan away from setting it in...here is my problem.... im getting a little feedback from my local mopar community who tend to frown upon this swap. Im not sure im a 100% on board with it as I appreciate the olds school, iron big block, cam, raw torque, black steel wheels with slicks, front skinnys etc... kinda like the old super stock guys, nostalgia drag racing cars of yesteryear...love those.

But....at same time I love the pro touring look, the bigger wheels(I have 17's now), the lower stances, and the awesome driveability to drive it across country like the hot rod power tours....drag weeks, etc...I love driving my car, and taking my family to church and dinner in it...so I don't want to lose that.

As it stands now my car is still running and driving with the original 273 v8, 904 trans...and I drive it a lot, and sometimes an hour or two one way on cruises. so its fairly dependable just its filthy, oily, dirty, leakes everwhere, and just overall needs a refresh, pull motor, paint under hood, hide wires, clean it up to look like the rest of the car...so it needs to come out either way this winter..just not sure what to put back in its place. so looking for opinions and guidance.

So lets here it from you old school die hard guys...and you new school young new technology swaps guys.... see what you all think.

Does it or will it hurt the value of my car with a 5.7 hemi in it? will it cheapen the car? will it add value? I have no clue. is it worth more now being original 273? and I should put it back in it just freshen up? blah...

I am at a crossroads of getting ready to pull the motor and start on it...just torn now what go's back in its place. here is my options..and I will post a poll also.
1. freshen up 273 and put it back in car leave as is
2. install 5.7 hemi swap, carbed, cam, 425+ hp and cool factor? I plan to leave the 904 trans...behind it.
3. install a big block, I have several 383's, a 440, a maxwedge motor etc...(my dad is a big block guy so I have plenty of parts and know how)
4. sell it....move it on...just buy a challenger with a hemi already :) lol...

please discuss, debate, fuss, opnions....

my car is a 67 coronet 500, 58k miles, 273 with air, 904 trans...good "driver" quality I would say, except under hood look original and old and leaks like a civ...

Attachments

• 20140809_121032.jpg
    20140809_121032.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,446
  • motor3.JPG
    motor3.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 577
  • motor2.JPG
    motor2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 643
  • mercantile2.jpg
    mercantile2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 769
My take on it is that in another 20 years that 5.7l hemi swap could have gone the way of the throttle body magnum motors and overdrives of the 90s and if you swap in a nice big block and manual trans it will ALWAYS be cool and NEVER go out of style.

Lots of debate here Im sure but picture this:

its 1990 and a guy has say a 69 camaro. He swaps in the newest 350 TPI motor with 700R4. Then you have another guy in 1990 that has a 69 camaro. He swaps in a big block 4 speed.

Fast forward to 2014. Which is still worth more, way cooler and not out of style? The big block camaro...

Well, I am all for the swap and am now in the middle of one myself. I had a 440 that was going in my 68 bee, but things have changed. Now im going the 6.1 route. The only exception I have to the way you want to do it is the carb. There are still advantages to the new motor, but to me the main advantage is fuel injection. You might as well stick with the old school stuff imho. Bottom line, its your car. You build it the way you want. To hell with what anyone else says. I will love it either way. And you can make it look like an old super stocker with bigs and littles. Do it any way you want.

that's funny you mention that dieseldazzle, I have a 67 big block Camaro RS/SS and I would NEVER DREAM of putting in a ls1 swap lol...so I see your point, I have never looked at it that way.

carry on...interested to hear your alls views.

I would say you can make your decision easier by ditching the 273 option. Few markets smaller, or broker, than the one for all original, numbers-matching 273 cars. :) Same for 318 cars. Either the HEMI or 440 option, or even a 340, will add value to your car.

The newer HEMIs are nice, but I question the costs of keeping them nice. You fry a computer for a HEMI and you're spening some $$$$$. You fry a control box for a 440 you're out $29. Plus the new HEMIs will never be the old HEMIs, so a lot of the panache that goes with owning a HEMI doesn't transfer over to the newer engines, while a 440 car will always be a 440 car!!!

I would go with the 440 option.

Do what you really want , otherwise you'll never be happy with the result.

Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one, and now I'll air mine, lol! You have a 273 car, nothing to write home about, same as 318 car, nothing special. Your car isn't a 500, R/T, original BB or Hemi. You have a 904, not a 727, so again, you have a mundane car, although very cool looking and I do mean that, just nothing special.

The engine swap is no big deal for the 5.7, plus it will run circles around a stock BB, hands down!! The value will go up with the 5.7 in it more so than a BB. Reliability is more on the 5.7 than your current motor. If your buddy's frown on the swap, wait till ya take some money from them, then they are gonna be pissed, lol!! Your call, but if ya decided to swap, just give me shout and I help guide ya in the right direction, (check my thread, late model hemi into early b bodies).

I love the idea of the 5.7 swap except if I were doing it I'd want to keep the EFI in tact but non the less I like it. Easy decision for me however if you would have said 5.7 or Big Block it might be tougher.

I love my 6.1 with the 6 speed. This thing exceeded all my expectations. It fly's and getting awesome fuel milage.

Attachments

• IMG_20140621_163738_192.jpg
    IMG_20140621_163738_192.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 445
I love my 6.1 with the 6 speed. This thing exceeded all my expectations. It fly's and getting awesome fuel milage.

I don't want to hear about your gas mileage USA, I pass everything but the gas station haha.

Uh oh. Nothing better than the panache (sometimes defined as reckless courage) of a Big Block Mopar. NOTHING. It's a gut thing for me. I own two 5.7's. Sweet, but apples/oranges.

Good luck with whatever you decide, it'll be great either way. If I had the money, I be doing a usaroadrunner 6.1 swap in my 65 coronet.

I love the Big Blocks. But the 5.7 swap is pretty awesome too. Just listen to this guys' Challenger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE0A1ub24xg

A cam swap and you're sounding just like it's supposed to. I say go for it.

You can always put steel wheels on it and go for the street sweeper look at another time. Besides when is a car that you regularly drive ever really 'done'?

You have to do what will make you happy and thats the bottom line. Nothing wrong with the swap. As for me I would not as I love the look of the bigblock since its more of an original muscle car look under the hood but thats just me. I love the Nostalgic look and thats why I like the older bigblock look under the hood. But if you like the modern Hemi thats fine as they do run good. Both are fine as you just have to go with what will make you happy. Ron

Heck, I'll throw my 2 pennies in too....it's your car, moola, and time, energy, etc. do it like you want. Don't let anyone mess you up or get you second guessing...I like the idea of a big block personally, but not set in stone... heck if I were able to throw a hemi in.... I'd be all over it.

Good luck with your decision!

a big block is a been there done that thing. I'd go with the 5.7. You're not far of from dropping it in and if you dont like it then go big block.

all good points guys....and I appreciate the comments and encouragement.
I talked to my dad last night(been mopar all his life) and at 68 years old, owner of a 62 dodge hemi, 64 max wedge belvedere I still go to him for advice....good or bad. he thinks drop the 5.7 in it, done. don't look back...he is old school as old school and he is all for the new hemi's and loves them in the old cars. plus...he will help me ;)

Im getting ready to pull the plug on the 273 in the next few days...I have a build thread in the 5.7 hemi swap area that I will update as time allows.....

HEMI IT IS.
I need a cam though.....wow......that challenger sounded good.

So you don't want too hear I got 24 mph on the highway then. Give or take a mile. Lmao

Nice USA. I get consistently 21 mpg with my 5.7 but I also tend to play on on ramps and quite a bit of city mixed in. 800 miles so far and I loved every minute. ....

Auto Transport Service
Back