• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deciphering the evidence

RTDaddy

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out what this was. It's a 71 Charger with the SE medallions on the roof sail panels, has the vent on the lower driver's side of the dash, but also has the fresh air vent on the left as if it were a non-A/C car, vent cables to left fresh air box and to the heater box are still present. Heater box gone. I thought non-A/C cars did not have the lower left dash vent. Dash V.I.N. matches fender tag which matches radiator support. Fender tag is "bare bones:"

GE7
GE7 E5X9 801
E44 D34 WP29 *** XXXXXX

Any guesses?

318 equipped 71 Charger SE likley equipped with the Strato-vent option. Hard to judge without pics or more info.

AC cars have a cut out on the firewall IIRC. Not sure what an H41 strat-o-vent car would have.

72 non AC firewall. Note the blower is different than an AC car.

578583cdc7abf041-medium.jpg

71 N96 car-

1678319294859.jpeg

On AC cars the blower fits in a rounded triangle.

Last edited:
Strato vent cars have a standard non AC firewall but the extra cowl vent. Popular on fresh air hood cars.
would like to see some pics of what you have.

upload_2019-7-2_21-2-43-png.png

72 AC

RT Daddy - just finding this post. Any Chance your VIN is really early? Like WP29G1A100xxx. Your Scheduled Production Date is 801 - which leads me to believe it is either a really early car (possibly a Pilot car) - which also would explain why there is very little data on the tag - or a very late car. Additionally, I think GE7 is a pretty uncommon color for 71 Chargers.

RT Daddy - just finding this post. Any Chance your VIN is really early? Like WP29G1A100xxx. Your Scheduled Production Date is 801 - which leads me to believe it is either a really early car (possibly a Pilot car) - which also would explain why there is very little data on the tag - or a very late car. Additionally, I think GE7 is a pretty uncommon color for 71 Chargers.
Last of vin is "022," I suspect a pilot car.

Last of vin is "022," I suspect a pilot car.
Alright, that explains a bit then if its an early/possible pilot car from Lynch Road. Lynch Road plants normally don't have a ton of options on the tags in the first place. And Pilot Cars typically don't usually have much for options on them too - just typically engine/trans and body color/interior. Pilot cars were usually hand assembled with a good assortment of options to make sure everything fit and played well together, before the main assembly line got fired up for mass production.

Auto Transport Service
Back