• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decision

Lloyd Braun

Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new member and joined to get advice/guidance from those who know far more than I do. I've owned my 1968 Dodge Charger (383) since I was a sophomore in high school. I bought it in 1973. I drove it through college, then in 1981, I parked it in a barn on my in-law's farm while I went off on my career. It is still there today.

I'm retired now and thought I'd like to have my 68 Charger back to enjoy in the years ahead as a clean, reliable driver. I don't have the skills to do the work myself and would need a reputable restoration shop for the work. I'd like to have the drivetrain updated to a modern setup, perhaps with a crate engine.

I've been warned that this can easily become a cash sinkhole and that it would be much smarter to go out and purchase a 68 Charger that has already been restored. I do understand that line of thinking, however, it would not be "my" 68 Charger.

So, I'm looking for input from those who have been down this road before. Given your experiences, I'd welcome any insights/recommendations you may offer to help me with this decision. I've attached some photos of my car as it sits in the barn.

Thanks!

IMG_3617.JPG IMG_3582.JPG IMG_3586.JPG IMG_3585.JPG IMG_3601.JPG IMG_3595.JPG IMG_3583.JPG IMG_3599.JPG IMG_3591.JPG

Welcome to FBBO from VERmont! Nice starting platform you have there! There are many '68 Charger addicts here who can steer you in the right direction, hang on, they will be along shortly......also there are forum sections here where you can start a build thread and corral all of your pics and info in one easy to find place so we can more easily help you out..try the members projects or resto mod pro touring forums here..good luck! Ghost.

Welcome from Missouri!! It's a 383 car, that alone should be fun to have. If you go crate engine, go new, 5.7 like my car had done to it. No problems, get in and go.

Welcome, Lloyd - good to have Mayor Dinkins's campaign manager aboard! :D

You may be able to get it back to fun driver status by getting the old 383 back in service depending on it's condition - and spending less money than a modern drivetrain transplant. These old Mopes can be amazingly forgiving in bringing out of long term hibernation. And in my book, there's nothing cooler than the old technology in the old cars. Heck, I'm still running dual points!

Welcome, nice car. Is it solid or did it get rusty on the barn?

If you really want to do as outlined in your first post set aside 125-150K to start with, and it might get done for you.

Last edited:
Nice car. Great bones plus a/c. I would stick with what you have. Rebuild the 383, aluminum heads, EFI. Rebuild the transmission and rear end. Disc brake conversion along with an updated vintage or classic a/c system. Then the body and interior. You will sink an easy 80 to 100 grand into it.

Message sent :welcome:

Last edited:
Sir

Asses everything . Everything that was an issue for the car waaay back then….will be a bigger issue now. A “done” 68 car will cost you a fortune….and yours is probably a far better investment…..

Paint , body and everything else will need a skilled eye to go through. Wash that gem to see what you have…..wear a mask , and go through the interior with a vacuum to get pest urine crystals up ….not picking on your age, but getting a chest infection is a big risk

Motor is probably seized due to surface rust, but take it slow….

so fun bringing one back up!!!!

There are many ways to go with the car. Driver,full resto,modern drivetrain etc etc. I would first start out with a breaker bar and see if the engine still rotates. If it does then you have a starting point. There are new modifications you can do to the car and it wont leave you broke. Holley Sniper EFI with Hyperspark controlled timing is a way to bring it up to modern drivability. All that for under 2 grand. Id pull the car out and wash it just to see where its at as far as looks. I would probably not try and bring it back to day 1 That only happens once. If the paint is savable I would try that. Other than that make it a good driver and I bet it will get just as much attention as a fully restored trailer queen. Probably even more since its untouched.

I do see that it needs lower quarter patches but thats a simple fix. I would address what body issues it has and then over time work on the brakes,suspension,steering and most of all electrical. 52 year old mouse nests will have some chewed up wiring. Hell maybe even start there.

Last edited:
Your car in the barn will mean so much more to you if you can get it back running and on the road as opposed to getting another one. Keep us updated on your decision and progress. I have a 70 roadrunner with original paint or at least what is left of the original paint and I enjoy driving it around just the way it is a true survivor.....

Welcome! great to see another green Charger! I am also old school, seeing a 5.7 in that car would be a big turn off to me.That is like seeing my Buddies 55 dodge with a 350 chevy in it, which it does have,,,,, Clean it up, and modernize that 383, and go!

Well,
get it out and cleaned up should be order #1.
That way you evaluate what you have and go from there.
Be realistic with yourself as for just how far you are willing to go to save YOUR car
Sit down with your family and your ck book and determine just what a reasonable budget could be

There are a few shops within a days drive of your location that can do it and do it right . And Keep in mind 'RIGHT ' comes at a cost and isnt fast
Im not trying to scare you off the idea of saving the old girl. Just give you some insight from the OTHER side

I built a 68 Charger RT for a client / good friend of mine a few years back. The car was far rustier than the owner was prepared for and we told him not to buy it,,,,,,, . But in the end he has the car of his dreams .

I believe the final tally was close to $75K and took about 4 years end to end .
Its a real EE1 dark blue metallic 1968 Charger RT 440 4spd 3.54 Dana , original black interior changed to white ( good choice )

right-front.jpg.cb7ddce5adc7f92e56da3cdea6991d23.jpg interior.jpg engine.jpg

Investigate thoroughly any shop who says they can restore this for you, look at the work they have done by asking for a few references, talk to past customers, and then if satisfied..... wait for a schedule opening where they guarantee that they will work on your car continuously until finished.

If want a driver that is reliable, requires minimal maintenance, and is safe, avoid deviating from a mostly stock build. Changes that you should pursue are cylinder heads with hardened valve seats, electronic ignition, and disk brakes up front (if you don't have them already).

As long as his car has sat, expect that the engine is seized and every system will need to be gone through.

welcome and They are cash sinkholes, Either way you will be spending money.383 is a great engine and if the car is close to solid your doing better then the average guy. Your looking at 45 plus on a charger and it would be a driver. Build yours and save that 383. Good luck and I bet people are trying to buy it right now.

Welcome to the site!

Fantastic car, one of the most desirable of the entire muscle car era. Great color, big block, and air. Did it breakdown and you parked it, or just got too busy with life/family?

After taking a close look at the photos, I see a little rust aft of the rear wheel wells. Are the floors ok? As others have said, you could get in deep $$.

Or you could fix the mechanicals, buff it out, and drive it. That’s my recommendation. Survivor cars are hot right now. Not a Mopar, but 10 years ago I drug a ‘65 Ford wagon 390/3sp out of a barn in Idaho. I spent ~$3500 on mechanicals...brakes/hoses/wheel bearings/u joints/ seals/ clutch/gaskets/radiator, etc. Didn’t rebuild the motor or trans, just repacked the seals and gaskets. Wet sanded and buffed the paint. It’s totally presentable, and reliable. I drive it everywhere, park it where I want.

That makes for a fun car. You could do the same with your Charger and have a blast!

Nice car! As others have said, I would keep the original drivetrain. If you were to do all the work yourself, with the exception of paint & body work, I can see an easy 40-50 grand going into it & it will cost you far more if you hand over the car to someone and just write out the checks. Retrofitting a modern drivetrain will be even that much more. Unfortunately, the car hasn't been stored properly & who know what toll was taken on the underside of the car as well as the interior from mice.

Clean that bitch up and if the frame rails are solid get it mechanically sound and drive the piss out of it you will enjoy it the most this way.

Auto Transport Service
Back