• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decisions, decisions. Which intake system should I bolt on my 440 today. :-)

68HemiRR

Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions. Which intake system should I bolt on my 440 today. The Weiand dual quad tunnel ram, the Weiand single quad tunnel ram, the Edelbrock tarantula tm7, the weiand 6pack, or the Offy low riser dual quad. Eenie, meenie, mienie, moe. LOL

PARTS001.JPG

Sounds lien you need to build 6 engines for all of them!

Personally I like the dual quad, nothing wrong with the 6 pack, the dual quad looks just a little cooler.

But nothing screams cool better then a tunnel ram!

Kinda depends on whether or not you have/want a hole in your hood.
I would be open to the dual quad tunnel, the TM7, or the Sixpack. Pass on the low rise dual quad or the single tunnel.

I was just kinda reminiscing about the old days, when it seems like I was switching intakes, cams, heads, etc. every weekend. :)

It was back then.
I agree. I used to swap 8 3/4 pumpkins all the time. Going on a road trip ? 2.94 Better get up and go ? 3.55 or 3.91.
Stop light to stoplight ? 5.13 But alas those days are but a faint memory....

I agree. I used to swap 8 3/4 pumpkins all the time. Going on a road trip ? 2.94 Better get up and go ? 3.55 or 3.91.
Stop light to stoplight ? 5.13 But alas those days are but a faint memory....
There’s a story, my great uncles were street racers. They’d drive around do a few races with 2.76s, get some attention, go to a garage, and switch out for 4.10s or lower, and go back and dominate.

In my experience a TM7 will do the job on most any 440 with a 850 DP. The Wienand dual 4 BBL with the right carbs does well too. My Wienand with 2 650 DP was really consistent and made good power. But you clearly know what's what.

Personally I would go with fuel injection.

- car weight
- diff ratio
- street, track or both
- idle quality important
- etc, etc

I can tell you the TM7 is a terrible intake on a street driven 440. I bought one of the first ones that came to Australia. Dead below about 3000 rpm. Edel quickly brought out the Torker, which had smaller runners & was better, but still had the dreaded soggy low end characteristic of single plane intakes. The large rod/stroke ratio of the 440 doesn't help.

IMHO if a TM7 doesn't work for you, I'd say you have the wrong combination. For me, 3000 RPM is just off idle.

For others, 3000 rpm is halfway through the power range....

Auto Transport Service
Back