• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decode a 1962 fender tag

bigaadams

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
I have searched the internet all over ..while decoding the bottom line is pretty much a given I am more interested in the A through Z codes on the fender tag. Subject vehicle is a 62 Polara 500, built in Newark De., codes are:

A=2;C=4;F=8;H=3;X=2;Z=Y

the puppy is a 361 engine, B36 with HP stamped on the boss, has console, buckets, power windows, PS, PB, pushbutton shift auto on dash, radio, jiffy jet washers as a few knows. Any help would be great, I have read that this year information was destroyed...say it is not so...many thanks.....

Last edited:
thanks for the link, I do not see any codes relating to the format as on the fender tag. I suspect these may well be broadcast sheet decipher... the A - Z line is entirely single digit numeration. I found a site that deciphered a 1965 in the format that is my 62 fender tag...but alas there are differences. I have stated the position and code above in the A-Z line...maybe I am reading the page wrong...what do you get for the above codes using this page. Thanks

Can you post a photo of your tag?

the tag in present condition does not photograph well enough to be legible as I have taken photos and tried to post in my photo album...cannot make it out at all by picture....the very codes and the format in which they are requested to post them has been done in the preferred fashion in post 1 there is nothing else on the tag that needs decoded as it is the obvious SO Number, Body, Trim and Paint codes on the bottom line. There are no options stamped below the top line that are the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0

to make it easy for everyone I repeat, the A-Z line is as posted below, appreciate any and all help...

A=2;C=4;F=8;H=3;X=2;Z=Y

Update, format of my tag is pictured below..this is not my tag...only posting to show the layout and the associated numbers corresponding to the A-Z line....

attachment.php

Last edited:
Order one of Galens code books CHRYSLER CORP. PRODUCTION OPTION CODE BOOK 1962-1965, It will have everything you need.

Here's some codes Big A.

Assembly plants coded differently in some cases. What I've been doing is comparing other tag codes with other people. They are not all figured out or listed in one place. Make sure of your assembly plant first (4th digit in the vin.) Read this link for some Hamtramck info. There's many other threads out there also...

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/tag-decoding-1962-dodge.121197/#post-910549974

Also you can send a copy of your title and $55 to Chrysler Historical Services. It's mentioned in the link I provided.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...er-historical-services-up-and-running.123776/

Sounds like a neat car. Post up some pics when you get the time. Us '62 guys have to stick together!

Last edited:
I have searched the internet all over ..while decoding the bottom line is pretty much a given I am more interested in the A through Z codes on the fender tag. Subject vehicle is a 62 Polara 500, built in Newark De., codes are:

A=2;C=4;F=8;H=3;X=2;Z=Y

the puppy is a 361 engine, B36 with HP stamped on the boss, has console, buckets, power windows, PS, PB, pushbutton shift auto on dash, radio, jiffy jet washers as a few knows. Any help would be great, I have read that this year information was destroyed...say it is not so...many thanks.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try HERE: http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-fender-tag-decoder.php/
AL

A=2;C=4;F=8;H=3;X=2;Z=Y

Hi, did you ever get any clarity on Newark cars? Similar issue...waiting on the book. Here’s my info.

1-8
6-8
There's an "E" to the right of the numbers.

A-5 (727-TF?)
H-3
L-1
Q-5 (AM/FM with Rear Speaker?)
T-1
X-2

no...seems this era vehicle is pretty much passed over as it is not in the desirable series of b-bodies....once a plucked chicken, always a plucked chicken

Auto Transport Service
Back