• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding a 1962 build card

1962savoy

Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there would decode my build card for my car?? I really wanted to know who & where was the original dealer was?

IMGP0039.JPG

Chrysler might be able to tell you where region 72 was or possibly still is. The region # is the part of the country where the dealership was located. 61563 was the dealers ID #. My dealership was in region 44, Syracuse, NY. My ID # was 9075. The # being so low because my father started with Chrysler most likely before ID's were even issued (1924). Here is a picture circa early 50's.

Ward's Chrysler Plymouth Dealership.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a FCA microfiche copy. Didn't receive a letter from them with the breakdown?

Region 71 is Los Angeles, so maybe 72 is close.
Ask Jon over on the early Charger website/registry if he knows what are your region and dealer. He also provides perfect copies of your buildcard, for a fee.

Your codes are right on the card.
For some, you combine the lower number with the punch hole number to get a 3 digit number. On mine, 1 is punched above 69, and 691 = ordered car.

Others decode to a letter, like in the paint code, 2 punches in the same column = a letter.

Others are just single digits based on the punch hole, ie Body Type 211 is written at the top and 2-1-1 is punched above 19-20-21.

Once you get the 3 digit codes, that aren't written on the top, google them.

It's difficult to see yours, but 361 is radio, 385 is heater. I can't read what's above 41, but 412 is listed as dual air conditioner - is that even possible in 62?

I don't have the 62-65 book, which would help, but that's not even 100% correct, and some of the early online codes are incorrect as well, but it's a good start.

http://blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/62to68OptCodes.pdf

72 is Portland

6 cylinder lynch rd detroit car.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back