• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding wheel dates, years, etc....

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Ok, so I will be the first to admit I am not a date code guy, and usually don't try and match numbers like build dates etc. I am pretty fluent in decoding and such, but as far as P/N matching with date code stuff, I lack some knowledge as to how to tell which day, month, and year parts were made. My buddy has a set of rallye wheels which I believe are from 71 to sell and need some help. How in the hell do you read the codes on the wheel to know what month, date, year they were made? I want to help him sell them but need to know what they are. I know sometimes in the center of the wheel when the tire is off, they stamp the 15x7 or whatever inside, but as far as year and such what do the numbers mean. I need some schooling on this. Pics would help me better understand what the numbers by the valve stem and such mean.

Last edited:
The only info I have found comes from sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com.
Go to their homepage, then restoration forum, then "things we know", there is a thread about how to i.d. a real a12 wheel. It explains date stamps and marks as applied to a six pack wheel, but info may work for others too.
Maybe post some pictures in the resto forum here, really smart resto guys may be able to help more.

https://www.mmcdetroit.com/Understanding_Date_Codes/

index.php?PHPSESSID=kvu07kr5hkmusdhs6jjlf0mjo2&action=dlattach;topic=113483.jpg

upload_2019-4-9_13-1-1.jpeg

upload_2019-4-9_13-1-35.jpeg

upload_2019-4-9_13-1-51.jpeg

upload_2019-4-9_13-2-37.jpeg

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=46

Good morning , I read your post and have uploaded a photo of one of my 15" steel wheels. I can't identify the plant on the rim. Can you tell me what you think it is? Is it "M5"? I believe the rest of the stamp says, March 26, 1968. Please advise, thank you.

Date code on steel wheels.jpg

Looks like a “5” to me too. Agree on the date (assuming it isn’t 1978).

Auto Transport Service
Back