• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defective NEW camshaft. Ever seen one like this?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
For those of you that have stumbled into my thread about the build of my wrecked 1970 Charger XH, I am rebuilding the original 383. The crank and pistons are in and yesterday I started to install the cam.
It is a Comp Cams 270/470 Magnum series.
I was slathering on the cam lube and as I was smearing it on with the cam lobes in my right palm, I felt some rough unfinished edges that cut my hand a few times.

Comp 1.JPG
Comp 2.JPG
Comp 3.JPG

Take a closer look. You will see at the edges of the lobes, some fabric remains where I used a towel to clean off the lube.

Comp 4.JPG

These spots are right on the outer edges.

Comp 5.JPG

That one above was the worst.
Comp 6.JPG

Comp 7.JPG

Comp 8.JPG

The lifters ride along the middle and edges of these lobes. I thought of just taking a file to the edges but what if I cut through the hardening treatment? Why should I have to do that anyway?
I haven't seen this before. I've installed maybe 20 cams over the years and this is the first one that I have seen like this. 7 of the lobes have sharp, raised edges on them.

I don't know that I would necessarily call it defective, but it sure is poor quality.

What if someone installed the cam and then coated it with the lube? They would have surely chewed up the lifters on the 7 bad lobes.

Looks like the typical junk that Comp Cams is making these days. They have really gone to ****. They'll never get another dime from me.
Their roller lifters are junk as well as their roller rockers. Not just Mopar stuff but GM and Ford stuff too.

Looks like the grinding wheel was positioned too far to one side.

I don't even like the looks of the lobes, like the casting didn't clean up.

Oh, and I don't remember if you had a cam post or not, but I do like that cam.

1 Wild R/T warned me about Comp.
In 2006, I had 2 of their cams go bad in my 440/493. I attributed that to my inexperience with the fading levels of zinc in the oil since I did follow the instructions on assembly and break in. Was I wrong to choose another Comp Cam product? I have used a Lunati solid and a MP 509 and 528 Solid since 2006 and have had no cam failures since the 2 bad ones in 2006.

I am looking for a cam with some slight lope, a strong midrange and reasonable street manners. I have 9.2 compression with iron #346 heads, 1 7/8" headers. This cam had specs that seemed to be a good fit.

I'd go with another solid but the cost of adjustable rocker arms and pushrods....:eek:

Maybe I can buy some upgraded ones for the red car (Ginger) and use the "hand me downs" for this car!

Comp used to be good but they have really gone to crap. Call them with the problem your having and they say "we have never had that problem before" and they treat you like you're an idiot.

I'd go with another solid but the cost of adjustable rocker arms and pushrods....:eek:

Maybe I can buy some upgraded ones for the red car (Ginger) and use the "hand me downs" for this car!
Go pound nails for a couple of weeks for the extra money for the rockers/pushrods?:rolleyes::D

Ha !
Yeah, I have the money, I just planned on using some of the leftovers from the red car. I have some very clean stock type rockers and shafts from before I switched to a solid cam in the other car.

Someone warned you about using Comp. cams, you didn't listen. I have no comment except to call Dave at Hughes for what he suggests! Good Luck

Comp = junk... Kern the same thing happened to me, but the casting flash was so bad that if the cam slid fore and aft say .040 the flashing on #1 exhaust would actually snag intake lifter as it rotated. had to send back to comp and they dressed the sides up. That was last comp product I will ever use. Send it back

Comp = junk... Kern the same thing happened to me, but the casting flash was so bad that if the cam slid fore and aft say .040 the flashing on #1 exhaust would actually snag intake lifter as it rotated.

That is what I thought too. As the cam rotates, that edge would chew into the side of the lifter.

I see Lunati has packages of cam, lifters, springs, timing set for about $480.00

I used an Engle cam and Hughes lifters. Both say made in America using American iron. Just trying to do my part :usflag: Of course everything else came from 440 Source, so inside my engine its like a few Americans living in Chinatown :rofl:

Dang that sucks. I would recommend sending it back and finding another bump stick. I have a used older purple shaft out of my 440 that I could part with if interested. I went with a bullet cam for my new build (flat tappet, 278 adv, [email protected], 576/576 lift 1 1.6, 110 LSA)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back