• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

definition of a "street car"

Stroker68

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
See the term thrown around a lot right? Gonna be alot of different opinions I know. Thought it would be interesting to hear them. Another member brought up the question is it street car or race car driven on street? Got me to thinking and that's not always a good thing. Where does a guy draw the line? Maybe it's just what your willing to put up with. Thoughts?

I think you pretty much nailed it...it's what is comfortable to you. Some guys, any amount of rumpity-rump and stiffer ride is not what they'd call a 'street' car, while others would drive a spooled big-block with 320° of cam duration and drag radials to the ice-cream stand once a week and be like, "it's a streetcar bro"..

I always liked the True Street classes. 30-50 mile drive, get back to the track and hot lap three passes. Can’t open the hood. Quickest wins.

Also, Drag Week is pretty bad *** too.

I consider all of mine street cars except for one. That one would be the 68 Hemi Dart. It truly doesn't like the street, and it's almost gallons to the mile, rather than the other way around. My other 68 Dart is marginal, but will be more streetable with the new converter. It has a 451 stroker with a 6 pack and a Hughes cam that is close to, to big for the street among other goodies.

They just had a car on Drag Week that ran a 5.99. Yeah, I reckon "street car" is a pretty broad descriptor. :)

I always liked the True Street classes. 30-50 mile drive, get back to the track and hot lap three passes. Can’t open the hood. Quickest wins.

Also, Drag Week is pretty bad *** too.
Yeah...i feel you should be able to do 100 mile round trip no sweat. Agree on the true street classes.

I consider all of mine street cars except for one. That one would be the 68 Hemi Dart. It truly doesn't like the street, and it's almost gallons to the mile, rather than the other way around. My other 68 Dart is marginal, but will be more streetable with the new converter. It has a 451 stroker with a 6 pack and a Hughes cam that is close to, to big for the street among other goodies.
My car is streetable, but I wouldn't consider it a comfortable cruiser with the big cam and low gears. On the same page.

..and then there's this guy's streetcar!
i15079.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::monkeyleft::monkeyleft:

But it IS street driven!!

Your running 9s in the qt. Super fast for a street driven car. For a long time I thought a car the ran 12s and was reliable on the street was really impressive. Now I'm thinking 11s. Brings up another question. Respectable street 1/4 ET opinions. 9 second car on the street = death defying....but I like it.

Your running 9s in the qt. Super fast for a street driven car. For a long time I thought a car the ran 12s and was reliable on the street was really impressive. Now I'm thinking 11s. Brings up another question. Respectable street 1/4 ET opinions. 9 second car on the street = death defying....but I like it.
Chrysler calls it a street car even if it can pull the front wheels and do 140 plus in the quarter and also come with slicks from the factory. Go figure.

Chrysler calls it a street car even if it can pull the front wheels and do 140 plus in the quarter and also come with slicks from the factory. Go figure.
Yeah...times have changed. You talking the Demon? Does the hellcat come with the same package? I'm into the old iron, but the new stuff is just insane. Some of the hottest factory muscle cars ran 14s stock. Sheesh.

Yeah...times have changed. You talking the Demon? Does the hellcat come with the same package? I'm into the old iron, but the new stuff is just insane. Some of the hottest factory muscle cars ran 14s stock. Sheesh.
Yes, the Demons, and the Redeye's. I'm a old iron guy too, but we were talking street cars. Even though my Hemi Dart is only a low to mid 10 second car it's still not a street car.

Yes, the Demons, and the Redeye's. I'm a old iron guy too, but we were talking street cars. Even though my Hemi Dart is only a low to mid 10 second car it's still not a street car.
Yeah...when your in the 10s in an oldie it's probably not a street car. Some will argue of course. Amazed at what the new stuff will do off the showroom floor. They just dont have the soul imo.

Auto Transport Service
Back