• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Definitions; Pro touring etc.

benno440

Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
Defining the term "Pro-Touring" is perhaps one of the single most difficult things to do regarding the hobby. It is a genre like no other, taking performance aspects and styling cues from several types of motor sports, and other genres of car culture. The fact that the term Pro-Touring is ever evolving makes it even more difficult to define; freshly built cars and new ways of thinking are constantly blurring the lines of what it is and what it once was. With that being said, we felt the need to clear up some confusion and provide our best definition as to what pro-touring and its sub-genres really are. When writing these definitions, we tried to remain as objective as possible, but there are always exceptions to the rule, or in this case the definition. Rather than getting caught up on makes, models or specific years, we chose to focus on that which means the most when building a pro-touring car--function. Contrary to popular belief, there is no set standard or rules defining pro-touring, save for one: the car be built with an emphasis on function. (Example, tailoring your car to a show 30 miles away for fear of getting a rock chip is NOT pro-touring. Pointing out rock chips and dead bugs on your freshly painted ride that you drove 3 hours to an auto-x event IS pro-touring.) Some will say that your car must have X size wheels, or ABC motor, and power adder, but we at pro-touring.com do not feel that way. We do however feel that any modifications done to the suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, or interior be made in an effort to better then performance and drivability of the car. (Example: swapping out your heavy 15" rallies and bias ply tires for a set of light-weight forged wheels, and sticky tires is pro-touring)There are an infinite number of ways to build a pro-touring car, and perhaps the single greatest thing about the pro-touring genre is the fact that the term is always open to interpretation.

Pro-Touring: A classic muscle car with upgraded and updated suspension components, brake system, drive train and aesthetics, including many of the creature comforts of a new car. Built to function as well or better than some of today’s best performance cars. Pro-Touring cars are built to be driven. Driven on the street, on the race track, on the drag strip, through cones at an auto-cross, no matter the setting, pro-touring cars are meant to be driven. [Generally speaking, late model cars are not considered pro-touring due to their factory designed suspension and brake packages.]

g-Machine: [once considered to mean the same thing as pro-touring, the term has now evolved to mean a slightly less refined pro-touring car] A classic muscle car with upgraded and updated suspension, brakes, drive train and aesthetics, generally lacking some of the creature comforts one would find in a pro-touring car, such as cup-holders, leather seats, etc., otherwise identical to a pro-touring car.

Street Fighter: (The term is adapted from a European genre of stripped down street bikes to mean stripped down pro-touring cars.) A classic muscle car with heavily modified and upgraded suspension and brake system components, powerful yet functional drive train, and little to no creature comforts. Most Street Fighters lack A/C, big billet wheels, chromed-out engine bays and navigation systems, but sport forged wheels, a roll cage and fabricated parts. Anything not necessary to make the car accelerate, decelerate, or handle better is stripped from the vehicle. Street Fighters are Pro-Touring counter-culture at its best; drivability is sacrificed for performance and function. In the simplest of fashions, Street Fighters can be equated to street legal race cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully this clears the air, most of you will find that your cars are considered a pro touring car or slightly less modified car > resto mod. any sort of UPGRADE can be put in the class. But honestly who cares, if you love your mopar and dont mind modifying it, then lets all enjoy our selves together am i right

according to that
I think that they would classify my 68/RR is more of a Street Fighter

I personally don't like to be labeled/stuck in a single category,
but can see where they are coming from too...

IMO I always saw Pro-Touring as more of the pretty shinny/driven cars,
big wheels/wider performance tires, big brakes etc., lowered with,
full modern suspension components, with the modern creature comforts
{like A/C & power windows, power steering, power brakes, big stereo system etc.}
& with added power/handling

I've seen so many different definitions,
I like Resto-Mod too,
modified restorations with improved handling/driving/performance characteristics

I think when mine is done it'll be a little mix of them all above,
Resto-Touring-Fighter...LOL
never been a big flashy guy, like to play under the radar some mostly,
my car was going to be an OE Restoration with wheels & tires,
I purchased another 2 cars at the same time, then the chit just snowballed from there...LOL

i think resto mod is a version of pro touring that does not get raced or driven hard or driven on dirt roads :)

i think resto mod is a version of pro touring that does not get raced or driven hard or driven on dirt roads :)

you make me laugh
LOL... yeah maybe

hell our roads up here in the Sierra's/mountains might as well be gravel,
they are really rough sometimes, as bad as a gravel road...

everyone's damn driveways are all hills & seemingly gravel too,
spitting rocks, dirt/gravel & crap all over my quarters & rocker panels constantly

I have issues...LOL

Does this mean I have to rename my thread?

I kinda cringe at this topic.
Trying to parse words on a description for a car set up a certain way and then giving it a different name because it's driven a certain way sounds like rehashing the hash to me. When My car gets done, I am going to be avoiding gravel roads at all costs because it will basically be a brand new car. No one likes to get the first ding in the paint so I hold nothing to people who trailer their cars to the shows. It's a mother keeping them that clean.
After a while, I will care less about a few paint dings and drive it a little more carefree, Does that mean my car now can be called something else?
And when I drive it across the country somewhere down the road, will it receive a new designation?
I can understand the G-machine moniker because it's basically set up for racing, but to have a full on discussion over the terms "resto mod" or "pro touring" or hot rod seems like a waste of time to me.
You can call my car whatever you want, I call it "mine" LOL

I'm leaning toward street fighter... what do ya think !!

it has;
440 With 550HP/600TQ~Gear Vendor Over Drive~RMS Front Suspension~Hydroboost Braking System~Cal-Tracks
[/B]

image.jpgimage.jpgMopar Hydroboost.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Just installed mine and still sorting it out as now for some reason the pump is whining off its head and its takes neally half the pedal depression to make the brakes work.

Just installed mine and still sorting it out as now for some reason the pump is whining off its head and its takes neally half the pedal depression to make the brakes work.

Is the pedal adjustable? Also did you put a tee in the return line or add another bung for the second return Line.
I have an adjustable rod for the brake peddle so I set it at the top. I put a second bung in pump reservoir.When I had the tee in the return line the power steering didn't work.As soon as I added the second return line bung everything started working.

I didn't read a that nonsense, I don't get half that crap most of the time. I have made my own class for my 66-300, I'm the only member that fit's into the "Sport Touring" class. I have no idea what qualifies sooooooooo, please explain that?

Well I'm certainly not qualified. Trying to maintain an old Warrior with street reliability that can be hammered around without worrying about it. No overheating at stoplights and no 1 mph driveway entries.

Is the pedal adjustable? Also did you put a tee in the return line or add another bung for the second return Line.
I have an adjustable rod for the brake peddle so I set it at the top. I put a second bung in pump reservoir.When I had the tee in the return line the power steering didn't work.As soon as I added the second return line bung everything started working.

i added a second bung into my custom made reservoir, the brake pedal rod is adjustable yes

merely a explanation/definition, call your cars whatever you want :)

Auto Transport Service
Back