• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defrost Vent Repair

Carnut

Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
I recently disassembled parts of my dash and found a common problem that has been talked about several times on this site, my defrost vents had broken ears. I looked through some of the threads and didn't see a fix that I thought was easy and simple, so I tried something that I am happy with and thought I would share. I designed a bracket (1/8" thick) that bolts to the vent. After receiving them from our local laser cutting place I primed and painted them black. I used the bracket as my template to drill holes (7/64) through the plastic vent and then used 4/40 button head cap screws to bolt the vent to the flange. I made it universal so it fits drivers and passengers vents on 1966 and 1967, but may also fit other Mopar models, not sure what parts cross over. The flange goes around the cut out in the dash so you can't see it and its about 1000 times stronger than the plastic vent.
I had it done for $4.50 each. It took me a couple times to get it right as I didn't realize there is a slight curl in the dash opening. I thought the plastic vents were just warped! I also adjusted it with slots so you can position them best. I did slot my plastic holes a little to help with this as well. Sorry for the poor pictures, I am never good at that!

If its possible, I would be happy to share the DXF file with this site so people can download it and take it right to their local laser cutter and have the cut out, just let me know how.

Capture.GIF Photo Feb 06, 1 23 22 PM.jpg Photo Feb 11, 1 25 25 PM.jpg Photo Feb 11, 1 25 40 PM.jpg Photo Feb 11, 1 27 03 PM.jpg Photo Feb 11, 1 27 10 PM.jpg Photo Feb 11, 1 27 26 PM.jpg

Great fix. Have a batch made, all us 66-67 guys would benefit by having some ready to go. You say you're in them for $4.50 each, I would go $10, no questions. You have done the hardest part.

Nice fix, cheaper than $149 for re-pops. I'll never dig into my car. Maybe someone will buy some from you?

Hey Carnut, is that a Free version of AutoCAD or are you using a licensed product? I am trying to use FreeCAD, for DXF creation, but it is lacking. The repair looks great BTW.

Hey Carnut, is that a Free version of AutoCAD or are you using a licensed product? I am trying to use FreeCAD, for DXF creation, but it is lacking. The repair looks great BTW.

Thanks. That is the licensed autocad. I use to use draftsight by dassault for years but they changed something and I don’t believe it’s free anymore, at least not for me. You may want to see if you can get it for free, it’s just like autocad.

I just wanted to share the dxf with everyone, I don’t need to make money and don’t really want sell them. Over the years I have received tons of help from knowledgeable car folks and would like to give back to others who can keep this hobby going.

Great idea Carnut. The vents were gone in my 66 Coronet. I managed to find a pair last week in a local salvage yard. Each have one ear broken off. I will try your fix. Many thanks for sharing your idea.

Great idea Carnut. The vents were gone in my 66 Coronet. I managed to find a pair last week in a local salvage yard. Each have one ear broken off. I will try your fix. Many thanks for sharing your idea.
I recently disassembled parts of my dash and found a common problem that has been talked about several times on this site, my defrost vents had broken ears. I looked through some of the threads and didn't see a fix that I thought was easy and simple, so I tried something that I am happy with and thought I would share. I designed a bracket (1/8" thick) that bolts to the vent. After receiving them from our local laser cutting place I primed and painted them black. I used the bracket as my template to drill holes (7/64) through the plastic vent and then used 4/40 button head cap screws to bolt the vent to the flange. I made it universal so it fits drivers and passengers vents on 1966 and 1967, but may also fit other Mopar models, not sure what parts cross over. The flange goes around the cut out in the dash so you can't see it and its about 1000 times stronger than the plastic vent.
I had it done for $4.50 each. It took me a couple times to get it right as I didn't realize there is a slight curl in the dash opening. I thought the plastic vents were just warped! I also adjusted it with slots so you can position them best. I did slot my plastic holes a little to help with this as well. Sorry for the poor pictures, I am never good at that!

If its possible, I would be happy to share the DXF file with this site so people can download it and take it right to their local laser cutter and have the cut out, just let me know how.

View attachment 908062 View attachment 908063 View attachment 908064 View attachment 908065 View attachment 908066 View attachment 908067 View attachment 908068
Great job!
I would like the file please.
Thank you!
David

Auto Transport Service
Back